Change the stock Alpine stereo -96 GTS

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello Everyone

Im gonna change the stock Alpine cd-player and amplifier. Took the Alpine cd-player out today and noticed there were lots of cables in the 16 pin connector??

On the Alpine cdplayer I find a diagram, but only 7 of the wires was in use. So know I have a small question what some wires are there for?

ANT: ????
ACC: That I know + on ignition
AVC: ????
ILL: That I know dim the display lighting
PARK: ?????
BAT: That I know +
GND: That I know -

rgds

Tomas

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you trying to do? Are you trying to use the stock head unit with an aftermarket amp? If so, you will need a DIN adapter.

OP
OP
T

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi

No, im gonna change the stock head unit and the stock amplifier. Just like to know what all cables are in the stock 16 pin connector. There are 3 wires in the 16 pin connector that I don´t know what it is, they are marked ANT, AVC and PARK ???

Im gonna run new RCA cables and remote cable between.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ANT: Antenna
AVC: Automatic Volume Control
PARK: I believe this wire is used by manufacturers to lock out control while the vehicle is not engaged in park. For safety reasons, some units will not display video, allow navigation adjustments, etc, unless the car is in park or grounded with the parking brake.

OP
OP
T

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Copernicus

Thanks for the reply. ANT:Antenna ?? Is there any antenna amplifier on the car? If so, shall that cable be connected to 12V ? Or do I just leave that cable unconnected and just connect the antenna coax cable?

rgds

Tomas

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Park connection is powered by the parking light position of the headlight switch and is used for display illumination; how it differs from the dimmer input I have no clue.

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Copernicus

Thanks for the reply. ANT:Antenna ?? Is there any antenna amplifier on the car? If so, shall that cable be connected to 12V ? Or do I just leave that cable unconnected and just connect the antenna coax cable?

rgds

Tomas

Hi Tomas,

I think the connector is used in many different applications and as a result, you will be left with some outputs that will not be used. I think you will be fine just taping off the end.

Admittedly, I have not altered my stock unit on the Viper, so I can only guide you on what I have done with other vehicles. Hopefully if I have misspoken, someone else will chime in.

Which unit are you replacing the stock one with by the way?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the headunit in my 02 ..
I had a lead made to fo from RCA to Din so not to cut any wiring..
Also had to disconect the Speed sensor wire..(stereo get louder the faster you go) because the new unit did not have that function...
Stayed with Alpine as well so was plug and play...

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think its only late cars that have the variable volume control 2000 model onwards.

I used a plug adapter but needed to add one wire, having grey hair I can not for the life of me remember which wire. :mad:

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Think its only late cars that have the variable volume control 2000 model onwards.

I used a plug adapter but needed to add one wire, having grey hair I can not for the life of me remember which wire. :mad:

Pre-2000 have the AVC function as well. My '97 unit has it too.

STL RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I've asked this before, but does anyone manufacture an adapter to use a new head unit with the factory wiring and amp? Or does someone wanting to do this get a pin-out and make their own from 2? Please PM me if you have a source for purchasing. Thanks.

OP
OP
T

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Copernicus

Im not sure yet what unit I will go for, some modell with usb connector on the front so I can have a memory stick with mp3 music. At least I need to change the stock unit so I can get the whole FM band for the radio. Here in scandinavia we have radio frekvencys even and odd ,1,2,3,4 etc. Not in US like ,1,3,5 and so on.

rgds

Tomas

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres what I put in..;added Sirrus sat radio too..I LOVE IT!

x500iVAD100-f_.jpg

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heres what I put in..;added Sirrus sat radio too..I LOVE IT!

I have a flip out in my car as well, and I LOVE IT. My friend has the exact alpine that you have in his ram. do you have any pics of it installed?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone want to sell their old factory radio? thanks!

You might consider VCA Sponsor-Vendors like Dan Cragin, Chuck T or even PartsRack. We just provided Maurice Liang hiz-self a like-new factory radio for his 'old' GTS.

[P.S. Sorry to participate in this hi-jacked post...the guy wants help with wiring]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang