changing the oil Jiffy lube style?

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered a Low profile jack today but want to change my oil, Im thinking of taking the filter and oil to jiffy lube/quick lube and having them do it. any suggentions. I want to do it myself but without a low profile jack. No can do. Has anyone taken there car to jiffy lube? or am I crazy just for thinking about it. thanks Venom1 2000gts

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno why everyone needs a low profile jack to jack their car, just drive up on a 2x4 or to be safer get 3 small pieces (per tire) of like 2x10 and make it like steps. First put one down, then put 2 right after it and it will raise the front of the car like 4" and you can fit your jack easily.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Jiffy Lube cross-threaded the oil drain plug on my F150.

No way in hell I would ever let them touch my Viper.

I don't even go there anymore, they screw up so much stuff, and won't take responsibility for it.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a regular floor jack, you can just drive the viper up onto some 2x6's or similar to get enough clearance for the jack.

(Too slow, ArlyDude beat me to it)

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's how I setup to pieces of 2x10 to get some height to clear a Rhino ramp. Probably be enough to change the oil.

image003.jpg

OP
OP
V

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok then No Jiffy Lube and I will cancel the order for the floor jack. didnt even think about 2x6s. Just bought the car about 2 months ago. So Im new to the viper world. thanks for the input. guess IM heading to Lowes for 2x6s thanks for saving me alot of DOUGH!!! venom1 2000gts

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do it yourself - drive up onto ......... like suggested above. My "ramps" are made from 2 - 2 X 10's staggered and screwed together.
Later,

OP
OP
V

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KenH thanks for the pic, I will do it like that, all you guys are awesome, thanks Venom1 2000gts

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our local Jiffy cannot change Viper oil because the pit protectors are too high.Check with your local Dodge dealer, many will do it for a reasonable charge if you supply the oil and filter.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to take my RT to a local oil change shop (not a chain). I would go down into the pit and show the tech how to remove/replace the filter, and watch them work. They treated the car like it was made of gold. The owner would always come out to talk to me, real nice guy. All of his workers were top notch kids, and they were extremely respectful to the car.

I started changing my own oil later on in ownership, just because I was to lazy to drive somewhere. The change itself isn't difficult, but disposing of that much (~10 quarts, sheesh!) oil was a pita ;) I would always back the car up on the plastic ramps (rear will clear, but the facia won't), then use my floor jack to jack the front end up. That way it was level, and ~16" off the floor.

Travis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my old Viper i just used a small floor jack to jack up one side of the car a little bit(like right behind the left front) and that would allow enough room to get under the front..

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the local Jiffy Lube change my oil last fall before putting the car away for the winter. Talked with the manager a few times prior to taking the Viper in. I brought the oil and filter. Everything went fine but don't think I'll do it again this year. The car barely, and I mean barely cleared the incline into their garage and the metal frame around the open pit.

Guys were great, very careful. One very important point is to tell them about the aluminum oil pan and that the drain plug can be no tighter than 25 lbs of torque. They said they call that "two finger tight". I went down in the pit and watched them do it. No problems since, but the clearance issues where enough for me to look for an alternative this year.

BTW, won't most roller jacks fit under the Viper just fine? Mine does.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb question - but it would seem to me that you could not get all of the old oil out if the front end is up in the air?

Ditto, what he said. The drain is in the middle. Too much angle would leave dirty oil behind. Call me anal but I put it on 4 jack stands to ensure its level. But then I'm usually changing all the fluids more than most.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do it a bit different because I am fat, too damn tall, and not a contortionist... Here are the steps I take:
1) Loosen right front (RF) wheel lug nuts.
2) Angle in normal jack through wheel well and jack RF tire off ground.
3) Remove RF tire.
4) Lower car to level, use block rest for safety.
5) Drain oil, it is easy to get to from wheel well and you do not have to get under the car, I can just lay my fat ass on its side and reach in with no problem.
6) Remove filter, it is way easy to get to from the wheel well and you do not have to get under the car. You can do it sitting up!
7) Replace filter and plug (use a good torque wrench)
8) Fill with new oil
9) Start engine and check for leaks, check oil level and shoot for "half way mark" on dipstick.
10) Jack car up, put the tire back on.
What I like about doing it this way is that I can just sit next to the car and do everything. The oil filter is in plain sight and is very easy to replace. I use the K&N because it has a 1" socket head bolt on it which makes it super easy to remove. It's also a high quality filter. I also think it is important to change the oil with the pan level.
David
'01 GTS

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do it a bit different because I am fat, too damn tall, and not a contortionist... Here are the steps I take:
1) Loosen right front (RF) wheel lug nuts.
2) Angle in normal jack through wheel well and jack RF tire off ground.
3) Remove RF tire.
4) Lower car to level, use block rest for safety.
5) Drain oil, it is easy to get to from wheel well and you do not have to get under the car, I can just lay my fat ass on its side and reach in with no problem.
6) Remove filter, it is way easy to get to from the wheel well and you do not have to get under the car. You can do it sitting up![...]
Thanks for posting that, Dave! I've got a low profile jack, etc, etc, and have done probably 30 Viper oil changes (every 3k miles) the normal way, and didn't think of that method. I'm tired of crawling under the car, myself.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also hear of many people calling a jiffy lube place and renting their bay for $10. they'll do it during slow periods and you'll dump your oil right there. Change it yourself standing up for $10, priceless.

Rocket65C

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome idea about removing the passenger front tire-I can't wait to try it. Ramps are a necessity and I concur with the do it yourself method of stacking boards. But go ahead and splurge-use 2 X 12's!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang