Changing the sound system and speakers in 1995 RT/10

Scorch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking to upgrade my 1994 RT/10. The parts catalog (1992-96 RT/10's) says the woofers (center console between the seats) are 6.5" and the door speakers are 5.25". No info on the tweeters. They appear to be 1.75". So far Rockford Fosgate is coming out on top. I'm going to visit a high end car stereo shop near my home before making the final decision.

Are you mounting the CD player in the trunk?

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Car Lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
actually I'd like a single in dash CD.....If the stock speakers sound better with new Cd player upgrade....I'd sooner just leave them. To me the stock sound system seems flat, I own a 2003 PT turbo and the CD in it is just super. Has anyone tried just upgrading the stereo and left the old speakers?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed my system to an entirely aftermarket one. I have a Panasonic head unit with Pana speakers throughout. I also replaced the stock amp with one from US Acoustics. There wasn't enough of a bass punch so I added a bazooka tube and it sounds awesome.

I work for Panasonic so naturally I have advantages but the speakers are very standard sizes and can be changed easily. The stock Alpine system has much to be desired since they didn't put much emphasis on sound quality. I would suggest changing the entire system to get good sound.

TW

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lots of info on this (do some searches) I put 6" mids and 1-3/4 tweeters in doors and a 8" sub in a enclosure on the floor. The hardest part of the whole install is getting wires run into the truck (for the amp)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I just installed the Rockford Fosgate RFX9000 in my '93. Nice features, less than $200, single CD/MP3, and the chrome/red matched my interior well. Also installed the Sony XPLOD speakers again for the match (rear speaker grills took minor mods to fit flush). Just about all head units will fit. Wiring is fairly straight forward - as the stock Alpine had RCA pre-outs to the stock amplifiers (I did cut and solder the connector from the stock head unit.) I was going to upgrade the amps, but the sound was pretty good already and as you know, trunk space is already at a premium. I did wire in the stock door tweeters, - which did seem to add quite a bit. A subwoofer would be nice, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the passenger well area.

Overall sound is good and between the exhaust being 24 inches from my left ear and the rear speakers being 12 inches from my right ear - I should be completely deaf by years end. At least then I won't have to listen to the wife whine about all the mods I'm doing!

274Red_Painted_Dash.jpg

274Rear_Speakers-med.jpg

Good luck!

ROCKET62

<font color="red"> </font>