Cheap Blue and White Viper!

95RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a fraud to me. The mention of six speed several times and the $2000 in 48 hours raises questions about the car?

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not affiliated w/the auction in any manor, but I didn't get the impression there was anything wrong w/the ad. I think they just wanted to emphasize that it had a 6 speed manual vs the automatic option that ebay appears to only allow you to select, and an initial deposit is fairly normal practice (I've seen up to $5K or 10% on ebay).

95RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say fraud since when I was looking to buy mine I saw so many frauds on e-bay I would be very hesitant. Either way looks like Exotic Motors is bidding to win. Wonder what it will sell for since there are still 5 days left to go.

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While I agree there are a lot of frauds on ebay, you've given no logical reason for this one to be considered a fraud.

Now if you pinged the seller, and he said that the car was in Spain or something, and that you had to wire him $5K and he'd COD ship the car to you, then you'd have something, but as of now you have no basis that it's a fraudulent sale that I can see.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think that its a fraud (but it could be). i think it says automatic because it was an accident. also the other parts of it dont look like a fraud to me (but i could be wrong). i also think that its really cheap because its not the oringinal paint job.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most Viper listings on ebay say automatic. There must truley be a listing problem that makes them state automatic.

I love the color scheme and have considered doing it to my 94 as well. My feeling is that it is a legit deal.

Jeff

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who wrote the description?

"This car has a clutch and a gear shift knob."

Let's hope so! I wonder if it has a steering wheel? He didn't mention it...

"I will transfer clear title and six speeds."

Not sure what that means. I guess the tranny comes with the car?

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who wrote the description?

"This car has a clutch and a gear shift knob."

Let's hope so! I wonder if it has a steering wheel? He didn't mention it...

"I will transfer clear title and six speeds."

Not sure what that means. I guess the tranny comes with the car?

Apparently ebay motors is ******** and will not let you select a 6-speed manual transmission w/the Viper, so in the data section they all show as automatics.

I believe the seller is just trying to (over)emphasize that it in fact has a 6-speed manual transmission and not an automatic.

:D I T'S H U M O R F O L K S :D

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found my car on Ebay and everything worked out perfectly. 3,600 miles, bone stock with zero issues.

IMHO, anyone making a purchase of this size that doesn't request/demand a phone/in person conversation prior to deal end is nuts. Or, has way to much $$. Often one in the same.

Verdict is that there are a ton of scams on Ebay and a ton of good deals too. The savvy buyer will find the later.

Good luck.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought my 360 and 97 GTS along with a few other cars off of ebay. If you do your homework and know the game, there are plenty of great deals. Ebay will screw you sometimes with the listing by placing "automatic" when it is a manual. You have some recourse with Paypal and even more protection if you use your credit card. IMO this auction looks legit.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything looks good on Carfax. Although, it last registered in 1998 with 8000 miles. So only 1000 miles the last 7 years?
With a repaint? And they don't drive it?
Doesn't sound right to me. But talking to the owner could clarify that.

Good looking RT/10!

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not that I'm defending the seller, as I don't know him/her from adam. Quite a few people paint their Vipers another color. It's always a risk if you don't know the seller - Why did they do it???

If it was to cover up an accident, this should be easy to spot with the vehicle on a rack.

If they did it just because they thought it looked killer, then I don't see the problem as long as you like what it is. IMO, I think it looks nice, and with chrome Gen2 wheels, it's as close to a 96-97 B&W as you can get without the price tag.

IMO they did a nice job, at least from what I can tell from their pics. The seller mentions how maticulous they were when the stripes were applied (I thouhgt it was a one day job?).

The car is located in LA as noted in the ad and the pic w/the license plate. It's probably a So Cal VCA members car. If not, I'm sure by now one of the So Cal VCA members has at least checked out the car in person by now :)

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why people buy cars that cost more than their house us beyond me. :confused:

You must live in the Oki's, or never read the business sections.

That house in Downey would likely cost over $500,000 :rolleyes:

Cali Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The listing looks legit, but I'm always wary of buying something like a used car over the net.

The seller mentions that the car is NOT currently registered. You should find out what penalties if any will be due on the car to get it registered. That may explain why the car has only added 1000 miles between 1998 and today. I'm not sure I'd pay more than $34-35k given the sight unseen nature of the transaction, and the car is already bid at $30k.

Good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950