chin guard

Bigviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
went to a top speed day on sunday at woodbridge airfield ,suffolk,uk. my aim was to get 180 in a standing mile ,after all the work that has been done to the car,managed it! just:omg:180.1 but my chin guard isn't rated to that speed
You must be registered for see images attach

:(

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting! What caused the failure? Did you hit something or did it vibrate loose and you ran over it?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha, I know the aluminum is soft but I thought it was stronger than that. I didn't think there was enough surface area for the air to catch, but then again, I don't have any experience at 180MPH either....that's why I am glad we have so many talented aero or rocket engineers on the site......:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it didn't actualy get riped out, as i dabed on the anchors the guard hit a rased part of the runway and bingo it was left facing the wrong way under the car :omg:.but there was a 10 to 15 mph head wind , which didn't help:dunno:i do think it could be a couple of mm thicker

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that the snake oyl version? Well it looks like it served is cause with the scratches on it. Dont worry. it will buff out :D

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Load your video onto YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. then click on the address bar at the top. Once it's highlighted (you can also hold down the left mouse button and highlight the address, then right click and choose "copy" from the drop down menu. In your VCA forum post, right click and choose "paste" from the menu, left click on that once it's highlighted and you've posted your video here!

Hope that's enough instructions to get 'er done for yah.

Ted

gen2lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd guess the wind caught the leading edge of the forks and bent them down, pulled it from the mounting points, and bye-bye!

yep Dave that is what I think happened. They actually bend easily. In 2008 when I sold my 2000 Steel Gray rt10 I mistakenly pulled up to close to a parking block and voila... instant bending so bad I had to remove the chin guard on the spot so I could just drive my car!:drive::omg:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it didn't actualy get riped out, as i dabed on the anchors the guard hit a rased part of the runway and bingo it was left facing the wrong way under the car :omg:.but there was a 10 to 15 mph head wind , which didn't help:dunno:i do think it could be a couple of mm thicker

G2L-- Translation: The chin guard never left the car. When Bigviper finished his speed run, he got on the brakes really hard ( anchors or binders) at the same time the car went over a raised part of the road.
With the nose coming down and the ground coming up, the chin guard took the hit.
It really doesn't take much to deform the chin guard. I need to take mine off and reshape the left fork tine from an encounter with a speed bump... the bump always wins!