DC Parts
3370 S Livonia Ave, Los Angeles CA 90034
310-841-6996 Tel
310-841-6496 Fax/Orders

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Product Release! Dodge Viper 92-02 "Light Weight Chromoly Flywheel"

I'm waiting on a SALE...then I'll buy :)

Is there tax when selling to MI?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, maybe..now I see conversations on the internet pertaining to chromoly flywheel starter ring gear hardness vs starter motor gear hardness potentially causing problems..

On the new chromoly flywheel, many people have issues with the hardness of the chromoly vs. the hardness of the starter teeth. And, yes, if it isn't done properly they will definitely have problems. We've already learned the right way to do it because we've already been building chromoly flywheels for our own race cars. The teeth on our flywheel will have the toughness of chromoly, but have the same ductility of the steel ring gear we currently use on our aluminum flywheels...

MORE

I had a 10 lb Jun chromoly...the only headache I had with it was the starter teeth issue...the starter chewed the teeth on the FW and so after about 1 yr, when you turned the ignition key the starter wouldn't catch the flywheel teeth to turn it over. I'd have to either roll the car forward in neutral so the teeth meshed and then turn the key or do several attempts at turning the ignition key. That FW is out and I'm running a stock ITR FW now...I had enough...

MORE

From Larry Widmer at the Endyn website:

"Stronger and more brittle isn't especially a good thing. The real problem that seems to plague the users of the chromoly flywheels is cracking that begins at the starter teeth. The teeth are exceptionally hard (much harder than the low grade teeth bolted to aluminum flywheels) and they don't get along too well with the hardened teeth of the starter motor. That being said, there are several other issues that we covered a while back (and no owners of chromoly flywheels refuted them), I'd go with aluminum

MORE

On a flywheel, you can't have hi-grade steel contacting and wearing with hi-grade steel. This is just one of the incompatibility problems that exists between the flywheel teeth and those of the starter. Those components will destroy each other in a relatively short time span. On the flywheels, once you have created a tiny fracture at the OD, the crack will continue to spread into the center, especially since there is considerable pressure (pressure-plate and disk) and rotational forces working on it. This is a potential disaster waiting to happen....

I'm posting some comments from threads on non-Viper forums, because I've just found them, and there does seem to be some things to get right when manufacturing chromoly flywheels..

Who'd have thought? Just when I got interested, I do a search and find this stuff..(!)

So I'll ask Dan what he can tell us about these concerns pls..

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have not seen any issues with starter motor teeth and chromoly flywheels.
I think the problem you are refering to is limited to very light flywheels that have thinner ring gear teeth and load the starter gear. Our flywheels are lighter but not nearly as light as the ones you are refering to.

These flywheels come standard on the Comp Coupe and are sold for the SRT through Mopar Performance. I have installed many for the past 3 years and have never had a single starter failure.

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No I have not had any flywheel failures. The reason I changed to the chromoly flywheels is because of the problems I encountered with the aluminum type. Aluminum wheels seemed to work well, but under hard use I encountered some occansional problems.

1. Ring gears that would loosen up from the unequal expansion of the two metals.

2. Less friction surface and less grip (use of screws or rivets on the friction
plate.)

3. Friction surfaces that would warp, crack and overheat because there is only a small surface to absorb the heat.

4. Out of balance conditions due to some of the things mentioned above.

The Chromoly wheel has a cast in ring gear and can absorb heat throughout the
entire flywheel.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Chromoly wheel has a cast in ring gear and can absorb heat throughout the
entire flywheel.

Its cast in? So what happens if it wears out, time for a new flywheel? I only ask becasue I ruined a very expensive race one, many years ago on a Chevy v8. I was devastated, until I found out, the ring gear was replaceable, and effectively only cost like $30 to fix. :)

Just curious how someone would replace the ring gear if they have a problem with the ring, either from a mistake they made themselves, or wear and tear from usage.

Thanks,

Jon