Cleaning gas cans . . .

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to haul about 4 plastic gas cans in the cockpit of my Viper for an HPDE event this last weekend. Needless to say, when pouring a bit of gas got on the exterior of each can. Does anyone know of a good method or product for cleaning fuel off of gas cans in terms of both safety and smell? I will need to use these again in the Viper and want to avoid the odor/fumes in the cockpit. Thanks!

/Rich

djj68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just leave them outside for a day. The gas will evaporate and not smell anymore.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spray on brake cleaner.

Next time bring a lawn/garden paper bag to put the jugs in, and then a plastic bag to close. The paper will absorb the fuel and keep from melting the plastic; the plastic will keep the smell in.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...black trash bags will also keep prying eye
out...noting a kind police officer pointed out the risk and violation associated with carrying fuel in the passenger cabin.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh good idea Steve!

The only place my gas cans would fit this wknd coming back from the track WAS in the passenger side, so I put a black Hefty trash bag over them. I also used brake cleaner to clean the outer cans.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions all. I use brake cleaner to clean motor oil off of those hard plastic funnels, etc. I assume that the brake cleaner will not degrade the thinner plastic of the gas cans?

/Rich

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all you people are nuts!!! gas cans in your car...that crap stinks even if u spill a dime size,nuts!!!!!!:D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all you people are nuts!!! gas cans in your car...that crap stinks even if u spill a dime size,nuts!!!!!!:D

haha yeh unless you trailer your car to the roadcourse, there's gotta be a way to have some available. I was at Putnam Park last wknd and gas was $9 a gallon:rolaugh: and you could go into town and fill up but you might miss a session.

Lots of times I only need 2-4 gallons extra to get through the day.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a cheapo trailer that I tow behind the Viper for 4 tires, toolbox, jack. Could easily add a gas can or two. Total trailer weight is <400lbs and you'll never notice it's there.

186Hitchinout.JPG

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree wth everyone that gas cans in the car is less than desireable. Unfortunately, this new track (Oregon Raceway Park) where the HPDE was held is deep in agricultural land in the middle of Oregon (Grass Valley, Ore.). The nearest 92 octane pump gas is at a town 30 miles away.

I carried about 14 gals in my passenger seat and trunk and the whole drive over kept thinking about the incredible exploding fuel tanks on the Ford Pinto.

I was pretty careful filling them and then stuffed each can in a plastic tire bag to prevent spills. This worked pretty well. There were 6-8 25 minute runs for each run group and I think in retrospect carrying only 10 additional gallons would have been fine.

I will use the garden bag/garbage bag method next time for added security. Thanks again.

/Rich

PS: for anyone in the Pacific Northwest of Northern California, I highly recommend Oregon Raceway Park. Very challenging, exciting but this is a track where things can easily go wrong if you are not well rested, alert and at least initially a little cautious. A lot of blind corners and hills. See the website at :

Oregon Raceway Park | Grass valley, Oregon | The Future of Racing in the Pacific Northwest

Youtube video of ORP running clockwise (which is what we ran on Saturday):

YouTube - First tracks at ORP in an ITB Opel Manta.m4v

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey now that's what I need~~~!!

I have a cheapo trailer that I tow behind the Viper for 4 tires, toolbox, jack. Could easily add a gas can or two. Total trailer weight is <400lbs and you'll never notice it's there.

186Hitchinout.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery