Cleaning out valley under Intake Manifold and see these cracks, now what?

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, dealing with oil leak from what I think is the time chain cover gasket, I notice these cracks on the passenger side of the heads? Driver side doesn’t appear to have them.

Someone lie to me and tell me they are cosmetic.

Attachments

• PassengerSide.jpg
    PassengerSide.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 122
  • PassengerSide(CloseUpF).jpg
    PassengerSide(CloseUpF).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 123
  • PassengerSide(CloseUpR).jpg
    PassengerSide(CloseUpR).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 103
  • DriverSide.jpg
    DriverSide.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 85

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Could be just casting imperfections, but hard to say. You might try lightly sanding one or something to see if you can figure out how deep it is.

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ignore, I am a dumb@ss. Really, I am. I was just using a simple spray parts cleaner, driver side cleaned up really well, for some reason, passenger side left what looks like cracks was really just smudges. Just smudges. I had been working on the car for a couple hours and got to the point of doing a quick clean up, saw the “cracks”, took a couple pictures and gave up on the day. Bad news - I am an idiot, good news, I don’t have to repair the heads….

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol ! Looked like cracks from here ! There weren't some beer goggles involved with the in-person inspection, were there?

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The smudges sure look like cracks to me. Or is it dirt that filled imperfections in the head.

OP
OP
SteveMat

SteveMat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing there, no imperfections or anything, I was actually showing to friend and he looked at me and started laughing. He was attempting to hold me ransom for being an idiot so I decided to pre-empt and post the truth out here. Was sorta strange as the driver side cleaned up completely different. Beer being consumed during cleaning and garage was 1000 degrees all sound like good excuses too me though.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was absolutely nothing there, no imperfections or anything, I was actually showing to friend and he looked at me and started laughing. He was attempting to hold me ransom for being an idiot so I decided to pre-empt and post the truth out here. Was sorta strange as the driver side cleaned up completely different.

Looking back at the photos, and knowing now that they weren't cracks, I would bet that you used brake cleaner as a solvent. The "sheet" of solvent flowed down the casting at an irregular rate with the particulates on the leading lower edge. Brake cleaner spreads very thin and flash dries quickly, so the particulates were deposited when the fluid dried while half way down the casting.