Clear coating Gen 3 wheels

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wheels of my 2006 Coupe are very aged. They need a new clear coat. However I haven't found any good documentation on re-applying the clear coat to these wheels.

However I have seen one thing: a lot of missed clear coat jobs.

I want my job to be long lasting. So my question is what is the best way to do it ?

I will likely start with 400 sand paper and finish it with 2000 wet paper. The wheels are in real good shape, only the frequent washing has removed the clear coat ...

After the 2000 paper should I apply a paste to shine the alluminium or it will reduce the clear coat addherence ?

What type of clear coat should I use ?

How to prepare the alluminium so it will stick to it ?

This is the type of wheel that I want to restore :

You must be registered for see images

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, had a few Viper wheels re-done. My first two wheels came back just like factory, and a third one was dull. Told the company it wasn't done right, and they re-polished it until it practically looked like chrome, and then re-applied the clear powdercoat. The powdercoat was $10 more per wheel but is worth it. As long as they do a good job on polishing the wheel, it should look great.

Have you done any metal polishing work? It's not anywhere near as easy as you may think. I did my entire GSXR-600 and I will NEVER do it again. Oh and one tip that may not fly well with others, Chrome plate > polished wheel. :2tu:

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there is a good concessus on clear Powercoating the wheels.

Now what is the best prepartation after the 2000 wet paper ?
Should I apply a polishing compoung to mirror shine the alluminium ?

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what the prep is on powdercoating but if you are going to put PAINT on you won't want to go any finer than 400 grit. You need something for the paint to "grab"

Check on the prep before you do all of that work!

Ron

98RT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just clean the wheels---use 1500/2000 to rough the surface. DONOT i mean DONOT put anything on the wheels after you clean and sand them---find a powder coater that uses ACRYLIC CLEAR POWDER (its clearer and smother the polyester powder) and you will have a nice looking wheel. ask the coater not to over cure the powder. :usa:

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People may recommend jeweler's rouge (sp?).

I've had good luck with Blue Magic Metal Polish and a pad, on a high speed drill or buffer (though I've never cleared or powdercoated anything I've polished).

Konza800

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I refinished one of my wheels last winter. First I stripped off all the old clear coat using aircraft stripper found at Autozone. You have to remove all of the old powder coat as the new powder coat will not go on over the old. Then I sanded the curbed area only - finishing with 2000 grit. I did some testing with aluminum strips prepared the same way and found out that even 2000 leaves sanding marks that are visible after clear coating. I had to polish using rouge as Malu suggests until the surface was like mirror chrome (to match the original aluminum finish).

I had mine coated with crystal clear polyester powder but I believe that the original powder coat is acrylic. While my finish is very close to the original, if I had to do it again I would use acrylic.

Be prepared, it's a lot of work!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala