Clearbra and Heat Question

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I contacted my local clearbra installer about coverage for a 2006 or 2007 Dodge Viper SRT-10 that I will probably order early next year. I have read various posts on the this forum about high temperatures on both the lower sill area (the area enclosing the side exhaust pipe) and heat venting up from the louvers on the hood. I plan on covering these areas as well as the inner portion of the door entry side sill (to protect from scuff marks from shoe heels, etc.) My installer indicated that the Clearbra material he uses (pretty sure it is not Xpel but another "major" brand like Vincashield) is heat resistant to 212 degrees Farenheit. Has anyone (or could anyone) taken a temperature reading from these areas to see what actual temperatures the car generates after fairly heavy, extended use? I would also love comments from folks who actually applied clearbra material to these areas to see if they have had problems. At my installers shop we applied a heat gun and the only visible effect was some bubbling in the material. He did not believe that, even if the heat exceeded safe levels that the material would damage the Viper's paint.

Thanks very much for any information you can provide.

/Rich

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron did a lot of measurements on the sills. They got pretty hot. He has a post about it on here somewhere. (On a GenII, the post is in the GTS/RT10 forum).

My 3M has yellowed a bit over time due to the heat, but has not disturbed the paint.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning on doing my door sills and lower fenders behind the wheels. Does anyone know where I can purchase a small roll or small sheets to custom cut?

I was also looking at door sills sold by zero altitude flight. They look decent. has anyone tried them? What is the fit and finish and how does it look?

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have it on my door sill but I can't really tell if it's yellowed since my car is yellow. I can say with certainty however, that it hasn't peeled off or "melted" in any way.

Muzz B Yellow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've personally installed clear bra on most of my 05 Yellow including the sills ... no problems ... paid $500.00 for both kits and put on a couple of pieces per week.. the sills are very easy to do.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see pre cut pieces for the sills? Do you really need to do the hood? I would think that it is at such an angle that rocks dont really hit the front of it. The bumper on the otherhand is a different story. I want to do my sills and behind the lower portion of each wheel. Do they have kits for these? Are most just getting rolls and cutting it themselves?

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't see pre cut pieces for the sills? Do you really need to do the hood? I would think that it is at such an angle that rocks dont really hit the front of it. The bumper on the otherhand is a different story. I want to do my sills and behind the lower portion of each wheel. Do they have kits for these? Are most just getting rolls and cutting it themselves?

Nadar- I got 2 quotes for Clearbra, both in the $800 range. They have cut pieces for all you mentioned 'cept the door sills, that has to be custom done.
I am not getting the hood either, but you forgot your headlights, def do those. They are not cheap if you ever want to replace.

K

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
$800 for just the material? I can get a roll for $90 and cut them myself which I was planning on anyway.

I am still deciding whether to do the front bumper. I already have a few chips which i assume will cause bubbles with the clear film. I had my 911 on the road for 3 years in NY and didnt have any noticable chipping on the front. The side sills and wheel wells are a different story. I want to do them asap.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also going to to the door handle and passibly the length of the horizontal portion of the door.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sills on my White car near the door below the door hinge
area have yellowed somewhat. The trick is to keep the material moistened with plastic cleaner; I use the 3M vinyl/plastic cleaner which you can buy at the boat/sporting section of Wal-mart. I apply once a week; the installer also said to dap with Amor-all if the vehicle is not going to be used frquently. On a white car you will see the trail edge of the film when brake dust hits it.The 3M stuff takes it off however.

2kvette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had it installed on the front bumper/nose cone up past the air intake on the hood. All headlights & fogs. Both side view mirrors and the guy did a "custom" pattern behind all four tires. He did it in my garage and it took him over seven (7) hours!!! He was a perfectionist. Cost $800.00
The area behind the front wheels continues down the door sills somewhat and I was also concerned about the heat. Anyway, no problems to report.

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am also planning to do the 3m shortly. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to remove this stuff if need be in the future or is it a permanent fixture to your car?

Thanks
Patrick

Reaction score
I did the whole thing, front facia, fenders, lights, mirrors, hood, side sills, rear impact areas. I spent $1158.00, and the installer worked on it for 8-hours.
I was told the 3M Clearbra likes sun, it you have staining, he said to take it out in the sun and it disppears.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Xpel on my Evo for 9 months now with no problems and better yet, no dings. Sometimes I get some small yellow dots (bug juice?) that don't rub off but disapear if left in the sun for the day. Had the full treatment with bumper and hood kits and custom pieces behind the wheels and side sills installed yesterday on my new SRT-10 by the installer who did the Evo. On my silver car the only visible line is on the hood. The Viper bumper is one of the more complicated Xpel installations with lots of compound curves so I'd make sure the installer has some experience. Also, make sure they install the full kit including headlights, fog lights and mirrors. I paid the installer $50 to cut and install the extra pieces. I checked the hot side sills after a 1 1/2 drive and the Xpel was stuck on tight with no curling at the edges.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys

you can buy the clear covery from Auto Trim Design.http://www.autotrimdesign.net/items.jsp?category=18165
We are working on reducing the sill tempertures and the temps inside the car in our race shop right now. I have developed a product that we are road testing as we speak. IT will withstand temps in excess of 2000 degrees. We are also working on a completely new exhaust system to eliminate this heat issue. Look for a furture post on this matter.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had it installed on the front bumper/nose cone up past the air intake on the hood. All headlights & fogs. Both side view mirrors and the guy did a "custom" pattern behind all four tires. He did it in my garage and it took him over seven (7) hours!!! He was a perfectionist. Cost $800.00
The area behind the front wheels continues down the door sills somewhat and I was also concerned about the heat. Anyway, no problems to report.

Was the installer T.J.??

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Autobahnd clear coating on my 03' since new. No problem on any surface including sills. EXCEPT when I put new section on the area behind front wheels and it was not fully dry when I drove the car.

**Make sure you let the film dry completely or any residual solution will cause a slight bubbling after the first drive.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great and informative replies. Just out of curiosity though has anyone ever used a temperature probe to measure the temperature of the side sills and hood after the car is at "normal" (running the car for 30-45 minutes) operating temperature? There has been so much discussion of heat-related issues that I wonder if anyone has actually obtained some quantitative data.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has already done this or is willing to do it.

/Rich

wormdoggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it isn't too much to ask, can someone post pictures of what theses areas should look like with the 3m ( clear bra ) installed. Then, I am not certain it will come out in the pictures.

I am having trouble understanding where the clear bra is placed on the door sill and how much og an overlap is there.

Thanks
Patrick

fixbone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I understand that eliminating the crossover with a straight exhaust i.e., Corsa Track with single cats markedly reduces heat at the sills. They do get ridiculously leg burning hot. My exhaust arrives next week from partsrack and I'm have snakeoy1 in Dane, Wisconsin install it. Of course,you get the added benefit of more HP and better exhaust sound.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fixbone -- thanks for the idea. When I get the car I will probably be keeping it bone stock (other than trying a lighter set of rims/nonrunflats, interior upgrades), etc) so unfortunately I would need the clearbra product to withstand temperatures generated by the stock exhaust and sill setup.

/Rich