Clutch hydraulic fluid contamination

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have some "floaters" in my hydraulic fluid. I read somewhere that a particular OEM hose (or fitting) was incompatible with the factory fill and would deteriorate over time.

I did an "all forum" search and came up with nothing on this. I must be searching incirrectly because I know I read aboujt this before and seem to remember there was a tech bulletin about it as well.

Does anyone remember that (or know where to find it). I'm wondering how long it takes to blow a hose once it starts to come apart....i.e. do I need to change it this week or might it go 2 more years? (I know I know, you can never tell, but statistically speaking....)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is strange. Aside from that remarkable comment, if I had a hose coming apart with a premonition that it was a recognized problem, the car would be parked until fixed.

Ever try to stop a 500hp car w/o the clutch?

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so much for Dave's general helpfulness. He must be low on Lone Stars.:)

Yes, it stops just fine....even from high speeds.....with just the brakes thank you very much.

Oh, I know, you meant at a stop light? Yes, there too it stops just fine without the clutch. If you ever need to do it, here's the incredible magic trick: pull the car out of gear, apply brakes. I know it sounds amazing but its true. BTW, stopping has little to do with horsepower, Sir Issac Newton would suggest it had more to do with velocity and weight, but Ike was no Dave 6666 now was he?:dunno:

The floaters have been there for two years, clutch works fine. I suspect that the hose won't last forever (call me a genius, even though I'm not from TX) ....I've ordered the part and was just looking for some statistical info from anyone who'd had it go out. I would imagine lots of Gen 2's that haven't been serviced per the bulletin have this symptom. Those reading this might want to check next time the pan is down for a trans fluid change. ;)

Or you could do a Dr Dave Chicken Little and spend all night tonight checking all hydraulic lines for signs of wear.

Oh yeah, and if you want to stop a 500 HP car without the clutch, just do what anybody with a 3300 pound car would do.....use the brakes.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. I'm stunned. I don't eat chicken. I like alligator. Keep some in the pond. But THANKS.

OK, Tiny E. Ever try to get the car into neutral pulling up to a traffic light w/o the clutch? With no extra room to react?

You think you're smart and can just mash the brakes. Tiny E.

BTW, I'm drinking merlot tonight. Yes, Dave has a sophisticated side. That's why I'm being nice. :kiss:

Yeah, whatever.

:firedev: :firedev: :firedev: :firedev: :firedev: :firedev:

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
S'all good. I was tired, Dave was less than his usual very helpful self and I reacted poorly. I am still seeking any info on the tech bulletin that is eluding me on the search function. Regardless, I'm changing it out the suspect parts this weekend.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
S'all good. I was tired, Dave was less than his usual very helpful self and I reacted poorly. I am still seeking any info on the tech bulletin that is eluding me on the search function. Regardless, I'm changing it out the suspect parts this weekend.

Wait... Dave was less than his useful self...

But Dave said basically just change it. If in doubt, just change it.

So what are you doing??? Just changing it.

You diss me, then you repeat me.

Whaddup, Tiny E??? :confused:

People think that I am just some ignorant post queen redneck.

Have I said "whatever" lately? :dunno:

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK Dave, since you asked.

Read my post. I didn't ask if I should change it.....I had already ordered the part and I have the fluid. I asked two things, (1) could anybody lead me to the tech bulletin or other info on the subject and (2) did anybody have any experience with it to know how long it takes for the issue to manifest in a problem.

You actually answered neither (which is unusual, you're typically pretty helpful) but decided instead to condescend and ask a rather silly question.

So no, actually, it wasn't your suggestion to change it that I'm following. That was already in the works. And I'm still without the info I was looking for, but that's OK since it'll be rectified in two daysn when I get back home to fix it.

Anyhow, for Gen 2 folks reading this less-than-content-rich post, either find the tech bulletin to understand which years and models the materials incompatibility affects (I know its present on a 98 GTS) or check the clutch fluid next time you have the car in the air.

:usa:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done one or two of these kind of posts, where you're trying to clarify some little technical thing you think you've read before, and not had any luck either. At least you've had your own little pet Dave here for a side show, to go with the other responses. :rolleyes: I tried a pet Dave once, and it didn't work out. :crazy2:

Anyway, glad you are getting your car fixed. I'd help you put the parts in if you lived closer. I do good work you know. Plus, I always show up with beer and dead animal parts for the fire.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, there will be ethanol involved in this weekends repair activities.

If I find anything else strange up there (or come by that tech bulletin) I'll post 'em.

:cool:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had what I would call "silt" in the clutch fluid. From a lubricant/fluid formulator point of view, if something were deteriorating due to incompatibility with the fluid, it would discolor the fluid. If the fluid were clear and had "particles" then the mode of failure might be mechanical abrasion.

I now wish I had kept track of this, but I have replaced the slave cylinder but can't remember the timing relative to the "silt". I also wish I had heard of this before, because I had thought it was just me.

I will say you have an opportunity coming. Whatever parts you replace, take the old one apart and place any seals in brake fluid, engine oil, and if you have it, hydraulic fluid or auto trans fluid. You may see that one softens and expands the rubbers. After replacing my slave cylinder, it began to leak again - don't know why. But I am lazy and clever (sometimes), and I discovered that aircraft hydraulic fluid (expensive, thin fluid) slowly caused the seals to swell. So since I was looking at replacing the slave cylinder again anyway, I put the AHF in the system for a week, then flushed back to brake fluid. It's been fine and leak free ever since.

No, I am not really recommending this to anyone, Dave. I'm merely sharing info that you might or might not take advantage of someday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather