1993 stereo head unit removal and install

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I've searched the forum but couldn't find any solutions. I have a 1993 antenna car. It still has the original cassette head unit. It mostly works, except when I put a cassette in, it sounds like it's just rewinding, then fast forwarding, then rewinding, etc... and never stops. I suspect the rubber belt in it is shot. I'd like to remove it to repair it.

How does one (properly) go about removing the stereo head unit in a Gen 1 Viper? Does anyone know of a guide or have instructions? I've rarely seen a Viper with the original stereo still in it so I feel like the knowledge must be out there somewhere.

lane_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If its anything like a Gen2 it relative simple. You will simply remove the dash surround that is clipped in place around the radio and HVAC controls. This also includes around your shifter and ash tray.

Be super careful about bending/prying to hard as it could be brittle, but with careful work it should come out pretty easy. From there the radio removal is pretty intuitive.

OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. It's a little different for Gen 1. I started searching around for dash removal instructions. Step 2 on the following post suggests it's just simply prying of the radio bezel and a couple of plugs.

Perhaps the reason why there's no posts about this is because it's dead-simple....
Understandably I'm a little hesitant to just start prying random parts. Replacements are scarce and expensive.

Walter Clark

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 required removing the bezel that surrounds the head unit and HVAC controls, then removing 2 screws either side of the head unit and sliding it out.

lane_viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the link you posted was for the entire dash removal, which would be quite a bit involved. Removing the Radio only would be way less intrusive.

Just carefully removing the bezel that surrounds the radio/HVAC should do the trick. It is just snapped in with clips. You might need to unplug the cigarette lighter and carefully maneuver the bezel off.

In my previous post, I did not mean dash removal was required. I specifically said "dash surround that is clipped in place around the radio and HVAC controls". Might be just a misunderstanding between "bezel" and "dash surround", but I think we are talking about the same piece.

When I removed my radio, the wiring diagram was printed on the radio so I was able to wire the new radio into the harness that way.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I attempted to do this, but I now believe I have to remove the dash.

1) Unclipped the bezel surrounding the radio. I thought just the black part would unclip, but the area around the ashtray and shifter came up as well. The clips are stubborn. I used a plastic pry tool to get a top corner then used by fingers pull directly near the clip. You can see the slots on the grey dash. metal clips on the black bezel clip into those slots. The plugs for the fog light switches and cigarette lighter are trivial to remove. Yes, the left fog light switch doesn't connect to anything on US cars. It's a rear fog light switch for international vipers.
You must be registered for see images attach

2) I had the perfect sized ***** driver to fit in the slot, but by now you probably guess what's comming next....

3) The L bracket holding the radio interferes. It appears the entire front dash needs to come off. Or, maybe just enough screws that I could flex the dash enough to move around the radio brackets.

OP
OP
M

maverickagm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note to others: If you've come here searching for a solution, see posts 17-20 here

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala