Clutch recommendations

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's time to replace the clutch on my 1992 RT/10 and would appreciate recommendations on clutches and flywheels. I only occasionally drive it on a track.

Cheers,
James Taylor

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock clutch is your best bet. Very durable. How many miles do you have on the car now? I have found with my driving style, they last between 30K-35K miles on average.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree stock (LUK) is the answer. I paid under 200 for mine on ebay brand new.

labor for install is tops 2 hours.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think LuK ***** and this is my evidence after 10,000 miles, not worn much and it fractured. I went to JonB and got an aftermarket unit.

You must be registered for see images

I also went thru 2 sets of LuK clutches in a diesel truck that failed prematurely, luckily those were covered under warranty because it was the Dual Mass Flywheel made by LuK.

So.. I had no luck with LuK.

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB for a chromoly fly wheel :2tu:

eBay for a Luk clutch.

Best combo out there unless you have more than 700 hp and need a higher rated clutch.

:usa:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JonB for a Fidenza aluminium flywheel (mine was from Larry Macedo during engine build) but JonB had them instock a month ago.

With the aluminium flywheel you just buy a new friction plate instead of having to get the flywheel ground. Cost is only about $40 for friction plate and bolts.

Ted

mr viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fidenza aluminium flywheel with a DF centerforce clutch. works for me. 10.7 1/4 mile times.
But most people will say run a LUK clutch.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stock cutch in my car was OK until I got serious and tried a second gear start with it. My car no longer fishtails hundreds of feet when shifting into 3rd gear. OK, maybe the PS2 hlep the traction too, lol.

I installed 1000hp lightweight rear axles from JonB ... so I ordered a carbon fiber/ceramic 800hp clutch (JonB) and a friction disc for my Fidenza flywheel ($40).

Keep in mind that a stock clutch will probably have some slippage (should be the softest clutch you can get) and that may save you breading an axle (depending on your axles strength).

Ted

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Use the production clutch and a Chromoly flywheel. Replace the clutch slave with throwout bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel bolts, driveshaft straps and bolts. If the rear main seal is leaking a bit then it is a good time to replace this as well. Same with the plug wires, while the transmission is out you can get to the coils easy. Also check your shifter boots for tears and the transmission mount for cracks.

crviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I might as well replace my flywheel and clutch since Now I have to replace the slave clutch cylinder due to my stupid clutch pedal loosing pressure if you don't drive it for a few days. But I am going to install the Fidanza flywheel not sure what clutch. Don't like how stock feels.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS.. this is a link to what I bought, and after a few days now.. I'm quite happy with it, feels better than stock, it just grabs, mind you I still have to break it in.. and Jonb gave a better price than advertised, also got a slave from JonB too.. here's a couple pics of the disc that you can compare to my pics above of the stock disc..

PartsRack.com

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think LuK ***** and this is my evidence after 10,000 miles, not worn much and it fractured. I went to JonB and got an aftermarket unit.

So.. I had no luck with LuK.

I had a similar experience with the LUK E-bay clutch. In all fairness, I probably didn't break it in long enough but it was toast after 1000 miles.

On a recommendation, I went with the clutch offered by Archer Racing (I believe it is made by Advanced Clutch Technology)and another DC Performance chromoly fly wheel with a looong 300 mile break-in period of constantly up shifting and down shifting.

Trying to save $500 on the clutch, I ended up spending an additional $1800 for a new clutch, flywheel, and installation. The grand total to get it right $3300:mad:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff sherwin, the viper tech at safford dodge in Springfield va. He replaced my clutch with the luk clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Two hours.

2 hours eh'.. that's the time it took me to remove it at a casual pace.. I won't let my wife read this..

Oh she has a sense of humor.. I was saying how I gotta install the new clutch.. she says.. "isn't it just held in by a wing nut?"

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff sherwin, the viper tech at safford dodge in Springfield va. He replaced my clutch with the luk clutch and lightweight flywheel.

Two hours.

*sigh* to be young again. I remember swapping out a tranny that only took me a couple hours in my youth. Now it takes me that long just to get the car on jackstands.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my LUK clutch holds down 800+ with no issues and has about 8K miles on it. Richie SRT10's old car had 930rwhp with a stock clutch and he tracked (1/4 mile) hard and often with no issues for i believe 30k miles.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the ebay Luk in a few months ago during my motor build. I drove to the track and back last weekend and it put out 1.5X 60fts with zero issues. Maybe you just got a lemon? LOL...or whatever 1 bad one out of 100 would be called.

JayW1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the ebay Luk in a few months ago during my motor build. I drove to the track and back last weekend and it put out 1.5X 60fts with zero issues. Maybe you just got a lemon? LOL...or whatever 1 bad one out of 100 would be called.

There are too many variables to say it was the LUK clutch and it does have a great history. I may have purchased a defective one, something may have happened with the installation, or I may have ruined it during the break-in period but in my case, there was no way I was going to take a chance putting in another one. It was hard enough explaining the redo to my wife as it was. Most people have had positive experiences like yourself.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was no way I was going to take a chance putting in another one. It was hard enough explaining the redo to my wife as it was.

Understandable...on both aspects!:rolaugh:

I ran a centerforce dual friction setup before this one and burned it up in one day at the drag strip. That's why I went back to stock instead of spending $550 again on the centerforce.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 hours eh'.. that's the time it took me to remove it at a casual pace.. I won't let my wife read this..

Oh she has a sense of humor.. I was saying how I gotta install the new clutch.. she says.. "isn't it just held in by a wing nut?"

Was she looking you in the eye and smirking when she said that?:lmao:

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was she looking you in the eye and smirking when she said that?:lmao:

I think she was jealous of all the attention my car was gettin, mind you I don't have a hoist, and the car was on top when she peaked in the garage.. hopefully she didn't hear me ranting how tight it was to get the shaft in.. :omg:

PS HSSSSSS have a lookee at one of my past Mopars that I restored from ground up.. all original, fits right into your sig collection eh'

[media]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/RR_1.jpg[/media] [media]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/RR_2.jpg[/media] [media]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/RR_5.jpg[/media]

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I always remember a skunky beer.. Old Vienna it was..

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS HSSSSSS have a lookee at one of my past Mopars that I restored from ground up.. all original, fits right into your sig collection eh'

[media]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/RR_1.jpg[/media] [media]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/RR_2.jpg[/media] [media]http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/RR_5.jpg[/media]

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM and it's a HEMI!!!!:2tu::2tu::headbang:

By past you mean you gave up a beauty like that???:omg: