Collectibility/600 HP

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any thoughts of the 08 Viper being collectible due to the 600 HP engine?

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact it is a Viper insures some type of collectablity I quess..I would like to see what the MSRP will be, and what the dealerships will mark up to sell lets say the first ones available..

Certainly speciall editions will be made, can not wait to see the first VCA edition..

I gonna beef up my 10 year old GTS and whopp up on them while they are still new and not modified...

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe it depends on the future of the Viper. If the Viper era were to abruptly end and this turned out to be the most powerful, fastest, etc., I believe it would be very collectible. If future years/generations exceed it then I believe it will be less collectible than the GTS. Should this be the fastest ever built, and you customize a very low "1 of" car based on color, stripes, interior and wheel package I believe it would be THE car to have, equal to '92, '96 & '98 GT2.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way, people thought that crap back in 1992 wishing another Shelby era. Their mistake, but it will be an awesome car.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I'm collecting one as soon as possible and drive the crap out of it.

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No way, people thought that crap back in 1992 wishing another Shelby era. Their mistake, but it will be an awesome car.

So you don't think the '92's are collectable? :confused:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely collectible, but get in line behind the 98 GT2, the 92-93 RT and the 96-97 GTS, all ACRS, in that order. Way behind! :2tu: If it makes you feel better, the 03-06 SRTs will be behind you. ;) Back to UBB14.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too early to tell on any of them except the 1998 GTSR, and the 1996 GTS HOWEVER since the 1992 RT/10 was the first AND only year of ALL hand build, they will hold on and are definitely a collectible car in the future. There is absolutely nothing a 1993 RT/10 brings over a 1992 for collectibility.

If everyone keeps modding their Vipers and driving the life right out of them, then I would say a low volume color, unique optioned, all original Viper from any year is going to be collectible still in the future.

Not a fan of modding, incase you have not figured it out. But hey, it keeps original car values a lot better.

Rick

Copperhead 057

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What makes the 1998 GTSR and the 1996 GTS more collectible then some others?

So if you were a collector what would be the top five Vipers to have???

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
top 5?
I think a reasonable ranking to be:
1. '98 GT2: 1 of 100 and very special, built with numerous unique features and also a ton of collectable memorabilia that came with it, commemorating high point of Viper history
2. '02 final edition acr: 1 of 30+ and they are both an acr and a limited edition that ended the gen 2 run
3. '97 blue and white rt: 53 built, much more collectable than '96-'97 blue gts
4. '92 rt: first of the line
5. '06 first edition blue and white coupe
Of course, we can't forget the vca raffle cars- the tri-color rollin' on the river gts , the blue and silver acr/gts, the acr rt, and the other 1 of 1 beauties.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. 98 GT2, above reasons, only production viper with splitter/rear wing
2. 92 only 185 made worldwide, most anicipated US musclecar in 30 yrs ($199k dealer markup)
3. 96/97 GTS 96 was first year, 97 more rare
4. 02 FE GTS (1 of 34) as stated above, then other ACRs (less than 900 made), fits the bill: US muscle, highest power/racing pkg option, lowest production (like a Shelby mustang compared to base mustang)
5. Of Gen 3, I'd go with 06 coupe, either blue/white FE (1 of 200) or red/white VCA (1 of 50)

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with VyprGT2 about the 97RT. I disagree with FinalEd357 that the 97 is more rare. Rarer than what?

So my corrected top 5 list would be:
1. 98 GT2 (Le Mans)
2. 92 RT (First Viper)
3. 97 RT (Rare 450hp B+W color)
4. 96 GTS (First coupe)
5. All ACRs

The 93-RT and 97-GTS might be in there just because there's not enough of 92-RT and 96-GTS to go around. I don't think that FE ACRS will hold more value over regular ACRs. But since they are only 4-5 years old, time will be the better judge.

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...There is absolutely nothing a 1993 RT/10 brings over a 1992 for collectibility...

Rick

I was under the impression that the first 400 or so 93's with the antenna were hand built just like the 92's (basically, carry over cars). The 93's without the antenna, the new placement of the battery etc, marked the begining of non-hand built cars.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The collectability is all very subjective and opinions vary intensely even among Viper owners. There probably is no reason to doubt that the current vehicle, of any number, that is the most collectable ,is the 98 GTSR. Some of the others, I seriously question ,are showing their value at present.

The 92 and early 93s may be valuable later , but currently they are not viewed very favorably and are reminiscent of the early 53/54 Vettes that didn't take off ( money wise ) for 50 years. This could be very much the case for the Viper, as currently the demand is very, very light for either year. The 96 and 97 GTSs are surprising everyone , as a very low mileage example will bring insane money ( primarily the 96 as the first model year ). The 97 Blue/white RT-10 is in the same league and many feel will bring even higher money long term with it's tiny build number.

The other area that is not happening today is ACRs, and they do not command any more than a GTS in the current atmosphere, due to perceptions of problems with the shocks ( both versions ), belts, and actually rather high build numbers when compared to the overall Viper sales for the 4 years they were made.Long term , I believe this car will command good money, but it is much farther in the future.

Overlooked completely , so far, are some of the cars that have huge potential and these are the Raffle Cars. From a Blue/Silver 2002 ACR ( first combination of this color ), to the ghost flame red SRT10, and the wicked orange 2005 with the Prefix interior and snakeskin stripes, these are just some of the raffle cars that will likely command off scale prices later.

The cars that likely will pop up in years to come will be the ones that Viper fanatics find out are in numbers way under what even the 97 Blue/white RT-10s were built in ( example: Slate gray Coupes --- total of 28 built in all variations ). The item that will likely help all owners , based on plain old common sense , is the relatively tiny numbers all Vipers are built in. With the ones turned into race cars, others wrecked, many shipped overseas, the real numbers available in the US will be even smaller.

The 600 hp car will likely take a nice place in possible collectability ( all of this is long term in my estimation ) because we will see many cars that will be done in absurdly low numbers. With all the choices DC is now giving buyers , rationale says there could be a breed of very unique Snakes that have no identical twins. I do believe we will see a new wave of owners keeping build sheets, window stickers, and other documents, and it will be more important to have these items when trading. Vipers have always been exclusive, but in the near future one will likely see demand stay higher if buyers want a very specific vehicle. This will be good for all and as so many love to personalize te car today , the future looks bright for some especially venomous Snakes to inhabit this Planet.

Lastly , to put the polish on how we all can miss what could be a desirable object in the future, think of the very few ( around 11 ) VOI9 cars with wings and splitters , not counting the few also with the engine mods. Tiny numbers and a unique , special car, so where will it land a decade from now? I think we will all be pleased as the years unfold.........we have a very special car when we count the true numbers!

Respectfully Submitted,
Bill Pemberton

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great post, Bill. I saw a few of those 'special' VOI9 cars during a CAAP tour and really liked the prefix splitter & wing.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Bill, but I respectfully disagree on the ACR comments. Many ACR's are being sold that have been modified, wheels swapped out, etc. Barrett J just sold one, unmolested, for 66k. While I realize that this is not the "real world", this should start to make individuals question the perceived value that these cars are low "right now". In my opinion, we Viper owners just sell the cars for plain low dollar amounts. Across the board.

As for the 600HP cars, it is my opinion that they should do very well. The production of this car will make the previous Gen III cars less valuable, unfortunately. I view it like the Corvette 327 vs. 427. While the small block is nice, the crowd will follow the bigger number.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill is bang on for this.

My prediction is that in a few years people will be looking to repurchase the exact model they "used to own".

The emotional attachment to Vipers is huge and people will want to repurchase that one that got away.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every time I think of selling my GTS, I consider what my thoughts will be in 10 years and I just can't do it. I REALLY LIKE THAT 08 COUPE, THOUGH... :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi