Color of fluid in shocks on 2006 SRT Coupe??

osuaero

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had the drivers side front replaced under warranty on my 06. I took the car in because I found a small puddle of fluid just inside the drivers side front tire. The fluid most resembles brake fluid. I told the dealer that I thought the brakes were leaking (never got under the car to inspect), but once they got it up on the lift, they noticed the strut leaking. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, osuaero. A friend's 2006 Viper (with only a few hndred miles on it) had a similar problem on left rear, noting an oily fluid with suspended dirt particles was found on the rim of the wheel. On the lift at a dealership, it was VERY HARD to tell source.

The fluid is thin, and a rather bright yellow hue...but, it is NOT fluorescent under black light and did not seem to be flowing from hub...HAD to be shock fluid, but I had not seen this particular color before.

It made a rather large area of the tire swell !!!

Viper Tech just let me know that he has confirmed that it is indeed coming from the shock.

Thanks All !!

Reaction score
The grease Zerk at the lower ball joint has a golden colored grease that when the brakes get hot can become a runny yellow liquid and drip on the inside of the rim. It can be then flung around while driving. If there is not oil residue from the shock body obviously leaking then it may be this. In either case I doubt the oil would affect the tire in any way. The thing that might though would be cleaning solvent if left on the rubber.

Just an FYI

OP
OP
Steve-Indy

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mark...interestingly, the tire looks like an "egg" growing out of the rim on the inside where the fluid (whatever the source) dripped down over the winter. The "swollen" area is a couple of inches across.

We REALLY did try to pin this on the grease...but , at least when I was there, that had not been resolved.

The dude will need a new tire in any event!!

Anyone know who makes the 2006 Viper shocks??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960