Comments on GEICO

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on Geico (by those who have first hand experience with the co.)

Doing a search came up with a couple of threads in which those who commented did so favorably....however the pists weren't about Geico so the votes were pretty sparse.

Just for the heck of it, I called and had them "run the numbers on a couple of cars, including the GTS and I was amazed that the premiums quoted were 40-50% lower than my current:omg:....Liberty Mutual. Liberty has always been excellent, but for nearly half off I gotta go with Geico unless there's a good reason not to.

Anyone out there with comments, pro or con, about Geico?

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, force of habit. Does it really matter that much?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their commercials have conned me into calling them 2 times and both times their premiums for the exact same coverage vs. AAA have been more than double.

Every time their excuse was that their rates are not competitive in my area, yet they still advertise on local tv.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a great experience with Progressive. The only other company that could get close was AAA.

Nick

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, force of habit. Does it really matter that much?

if everyone did what you just did, the Gen1/2 section would be flooded with crap and more important Gen1/2 comments/issues would be bumped down to the next page out of the spotlight.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I priced GEICO/StateFarm/Progressive all when i was insuring the viper 2 yrs ago. All had very similar rates which was assumed given the competative industry.

I use StateFarm, for comparison:

$60.15/month
limited7,500miles/yr
500comprehensive
500collision

i like them because:
-Great rates especially when combined with homeownersinsurance
-my agent is very easy to get in touch with and always faxes/emails me info in a speedy fashion
-no BS india call-center or press 1 for blablabla press 2 for bla bla bla. When i call, my agant answers the phone. The same one ive been dealing with for the past 10 years.
-they dont raise rates with speeding tickets for me:)

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had Geico for years and get the best rates from them by far. I have Allsate from homeowners and with the group discount, it still was waaay off. To insure my Viper as a part time driver and a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe V6 in Waterbury, CT cot me $1800 a yaer with glass, towing, $500 deductible and limits set at $300K/$300K. I also have my custom chopper insured through Geico cycle guard with full coverage with the same limits for $1,000 a year and the bike is a 2005 Swift Bar Chopper with a 124 CI S&S, baker 6 speed etc... Most companies wouldn't touch the bike!! I used Geico once when I ran over a tire skni from a 18 wheeler several years ago and I never saw the rep, just talked on the phone a few times. I dropped my car off at the body shop and picked it up a week later.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, the guy has a Gen 2 and he's asking for information on insuring a gen 2, age of the car probably matters so he put it in the right place in my opinion.
I've used GEICO forever and never had a problem, wife had two accidents, neither her fault and an idiot in an F350 Crew Cab took out my original GTS and totaled it. This was in 2006 and they gave me 62K for it, no hassles so I thought they were pretty good. Never raised our rates and all three accidents involved people with no or little insurance and GEICO still paid us big and paid us quick and then went after the other guys like banshees. I like 'em.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got two cars (Viper included), a motorcycle and my umbrella with Geico. They killed everyone else. I used to be with Travelers, and my house and jewelry policies still are, but I couldn't turn down Geico's rate on the others.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had Geico for 12 years. They have been very good to me. I had my first at fault accident last November. The total claim was about $12K. Not only did they not raise my rates but this time around they lowered my premium. They beat the best rates that a friend of mine ( State Farm agent) can give me. I won't leaving anytime soon.

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had USAA up until about six months ago. I switched all 5 of our cars and my motorcycle over to Geico and my premiums dropped about 40%. No complaints so far and if they can beat USAA that is saying a lot! Also I just added our new Viper two days ago and the premiums only wen tup $60 a month.

Cars I have insured

2006 Viper coupe
2008 Infiniti M45 Sport
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2002 Ford Lightning
1997 Ford SVT Cobra
2010 Triumph Daytona 675

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had GEICO for about 30 yrs now. Never any problem and for me, lots cheaper than any other company I have got quotes from. Also GEICO has a dirt cheap cost for any car that is not older then 2 yrs old when you take out a policy for extended coverage on any car for 100,000 mi or 7 years. No other company offers this as far as I know.GO WITH GEICO!!! My 2 cents...

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always had the total package with Nationwide, home, cars, umbrella, business, etc. A couple of years ago I called Geico to get a quote on the Vipers. They were half, so I moved the Vipers to Geico, but kept everything else with Nationwide, because Geico couldn't compete with the other parts of the package. No regrets.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all locational. In New York (city), half the insurance companies that you guys/gals typically quote won't even underwrite a Viper. I've been using Geico for at least 10 years. Without a doubt, the best rates available for a 2 car household with a Viper in my area. BUT, I've never had a claim, so my opinion is virtually worthless. Great to have inexpensive rates, but if they don't "insure" then what's the point.

Good news is that their rates keep dropping slightly every year, though it's a good idea to do a web check as a third party every so often to keep them honest. I've been able to save $50 or so every time I do it.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geico was the lowest price i could find i have had them for 2 years now and no problems. Full coverage on my 06 viper, 05 ram srt-10, and 2010 jeep srt8 is only 300 a month which i thought was pretty good for being 25

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Geico on my daily drivers, with no complaints at all. But also, no claims either. I have my Viper with American Collectors. Simply because of the stated value form. I wouldnt want to be debating with an insurance company over the cars value. If its totaled, cut me a check for policy limits. Done deal.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Geico is the Devil.

They supply law enforcement agencies with radar detectors.

That's all a Viper owner needs, more speeding enforcement!

Those who think that's a good idea would adore living in North Korea.

Toomanycars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geico is the Devil.

They supply law enforcement agencies with radar detectors.

That's all a Viper owner needs, more speeding enforcement!

Those who think that's a good idea would adore living in North Korea.

My Valentine One takes care of that easily.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GEICO was half of Progressive and about 20% cheaper than Hagerty with a much lower deductible.

Go with GEICO!

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. I'll post non-mechanical issues in another section next time. Im going with Geico!:drive:

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful!

Insured my GTS with GEICO and thought all was well. Two weeks later I received a form asking to list the mods, if any. A few days later I received a cancellation notice, retroactive to the start of the policy.

They said the car does not meet our underwriting requirements.

So I am driving an uninsured car for two weeks. When I called there response was “we are sorry”.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 37, wife is 41. Neither of us has a ticket or accident in the last 5 years.

Ensuring a 2009 Viper ACR, a 2007 Ram 1500 and a 2001 Lincoln Navigator, the quote I just received from Geico is over $1050/year cheaper than USAA. That's alot of coin.

Question is....what's the catch?

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm 37, wife is 41. Neither of us has a ticket or accident in the last 5 years.

Ensuring a 2009 Viper ACR, a 2007 Ram 1500 and a 2001 Lincoln Navigator, the quote I just received from Geico is over $1050/year cheaper than USAA. That's alot of coin.

Question is....what's the catch?

The catch is (talking about GEICO supplying police with radar detectors) do like I did and go with GEICO and get a Rocky Mountain Radar/Laser Scrambler......I have used one for over 20 years and never got a ticket, thanks to it. :drive: :D :rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful!

Insured my GTS with GEICO and thought all was well. Two weeks later I received a form asking to list the mods, if any. A few days later I received a cancellation notice, retroactive to the start of the policy.

They said the car does not meet our underwriting requirements.

So I am driving an uninsured car for two weeks. When I called there response was “we are sorry”.

Good point, they did ask me "has it been modified" and I responded, "typical stuff, exhaust, wheels etc" and they were satisfied. I imagine if you have a blower or a TT setup they might get wiggy about it.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point, they did ask me "has it been modified" and I responded, "typical stuff, exhaust, wheels etc" and they were satisfied. I imagine if you have a blower or a TT setup they might get wiggy about it.

So u feel confident they will insure u for the value with your mods if it is totaled?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just be careful. All might be well and good now,this year,next year,etc. But if/when there is a claim. there could be a problem if the car was misrepresented to them. Id be completely upfront about the mods. And if they wont write it, so be it. At least you dont have to worry if coverage will respond properly or not.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give a thumbs up to Geico - but like most who've commented here, I never had an at-fault accident that they had to cover. I've had other accidents where the other person was at fault, and Geico acted on my behalf to work with the other insurance company - and I ended up getting a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. Regarding modifications, I never had a problem with that - although my Vipers are only mildly modified. I did get the mechanical breakdown coverage through them for my Jeep (see sig below - highly modified) and it was a godsend. My dealer wouldn't touch the car, but I could bring it to any ASE certified mechanic (in other words the speed shop of my choice) whenever anything went wrong. No questions asked. Try and get any other extended warranty coverage on a highly modified (supercharged) car... Unfortunately they won't do the mechanical breakdown coverage on the ACR. That would be really nice because it covers a heck of a lot more than the standard warranty or Max Care, and the price has been great in the past.