component speaker install?

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry if this has been covered... i DID try searching but couldn't find what i'm looking for.

I just took apart my door panels to put in door poppers :headbang: , and I figured I might as well change out my speakers while I'm in there. I followed some other users who ordered POLK MOMO 5.25" COMPONENT SPEAKER SYSTEM from crutchfield... i ordered them today (Tues 11pm) and they should get here on Friday with free shipping!! :)

ANYWAY... I've never wired speakers before, so I'm looking for help PLEASE :ooo: . I think the crossovers plug directly into the speakers (is this right?), but I have no idea what to plug into the crossovers.

Also, why are there 4 wires going into the OEM 5.25" speaker?

Thanks in advance!!!!!
paul.

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the crossover probably looks like a pack of cigarettes, possibility with a clear cover, and you are able to see the components, or It just might look like a black box. well anyway there is an input and 2 outputs, 1 of the outputs has a positive and negative and is labeled tweeter or high's, that is were your tweeter goes. then the other output is labeled mid that is were your 5.25 goes. the input side goes to the output of the amp. (the amplified signal coming out of the amp goes to the input side of the crossover.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Also, why are there 4 wires going into the OEM 5.25" speaker?

Thanks in advance!!!!!
paul.

Paul Crutchfield should include the 2 wire DC adaptor. You should be able to wire that straight to your crossover following the +/- color codes of the adaptor, and then follow the instructions with your speakers from the crossover to the new speakers.

As for the four wire job off the midrange, that's their inexpensive passive crossover configuration to the capacitor from the tweeter. Not sure why they didn't just put the cap on the tweeter itself, but there it is.

Hope that helps,
Cal

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... unfortunately, I think I'm too stupid to understand what to do still!! :)
Can anyone tell me in stupid terms what goes into the crossover? eg: what color wire, where the wire is, etc??
Is there a stock crossover that I have to bypass? Crutchfield has no information on the Viper, but I was able to order the chrysler harnesses based on the part numbers given in a previous post.
Thanks!!

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah me too.Wife says the radio is shiP but its the inadequate speakers.So What?Enjoy the car sounds.Not the ricer boom box sounds. GTS Bruce

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dodnt bother, there will be a crosover & wire diagram with your new speakers, dod not use the dc crossover it sux

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a x-over from the factory. Where is it located? I thought there was just a x-over by the tweeter but not on the door's. Am I wrong? When I installed mine, I took the signal from the factory door speaker (6") to my new crossover and then to the components

jeffdai

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im pretty sure on gen 1 the crossover is just that capacitor on the speaker sure didnt see any other crossover when i changed my door speakers

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep the crossover on the Gen1 is just a cap on the 5.25" speaker. From what I can tell, if you order the 2 wire DC adaptor from Crutchfield (free with a speaker purchase) you can just wire that to your new crossover, and then wire your component speakers to that. Even if you're stupid, you can still match + to + and - to - :)

That's my plan.

Cal