Considering a 2000 GTS

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a 2000 GTS with under 5000 miles, just wanted to know if there are any areas of concern for this model/year. Thanks

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some very early build 2000 models had a different cylinder bore liner that was extremely durable if the piston rings were properly seated, some people had issues with proper break-in miles and had oil consumption issues. Most of these cars were fixed under warranty. All GTS Vipers up through 2000 had various frame recalls. The 2000 model year was issued Safety recall 999. This was basically a steering gear cross member reinforcement as well as a set of triangulation plates for the frame. Some incompetent dealerships made these repairs incorrectly and rendered the oil filters non accessible. As with any model year Viper, low mileage or not, you should have the vehicle checked out by a competent Viper specific shop. In CA you have a number of options. No other year specific concerns for that model year.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some other areas that can be of concern:

Power steering pulley & bracket . These will break. Replace with aluminum.
Power steering cap secured/ aftermarket .
Vent tube - have installed.
Front crankshaft bolt. Have it pinned.
GTS Gas Cap – check for corrosion
Center Console - check for cracks and warping. If leaned on, it will crack. If left in the sun, it will warp.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First year for non forged motor and still no abs brakes. You might as well go to 2001 or 2002 because of abs. That is what I did.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has been great. Its the 2nd viper I have had. The only problem I have had is with the pulley which I replaced with the aluminum one for about 200.00 . I have had it for 3-4 years and still think its great!!! Good luck

mitchdob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I double down on a 2000 GTS. I'm in love with mine (GTS ACR).
Its been awesome - rock solid (Eddie Martin gets some credit for that).
Yea, one mod is a Snake-Oyl power steering pump assembly. And listen to Camfab, he's been a help to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a 2000 for 9 years (34k miles) problem free. However I did just upgrade to a big brake kit and forged pistons...and a few other things..haha

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My crank pulley came loose and had to be pinned (by a great forum member). I haven't had problems since. While the 2000 doesn't have ABS or forged pistons....it did pull off the fastest 1/4 times. No one really seems to know why. People think they are the least desirable but with the rate these cars are dying off and the amount left on the roads throughout the world.....these differences won't be a big deal...just finding a 96-02 viper will be hard enough:)

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine has been great. Its the 2nd viper I have had. The only problem I have had is with the pulley which I replaced with the aluminum one for about 200.00 . I have had it for 3-4 years and still think its great!!! Good luck
what pulley went bad? how did you know etcc...

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would guess the power steering pulley. They have a habit of breaking(along with the PS bracket), an aluminum pulley and aftermarket bracket eliminates the problem.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love mine :2tu: But I have done one or two mods ;)

Brake upgrade to either the 40mm rear piston or contact some Vendors about a Big Brake upgrade. Makes the car much better :)

I have had a timing cover gasket replaced on my Engine, and had a window regulator clip fail on me but that's about it. Great cars :)

The rest of the mods are all Hobby related :) Billet aluminium pulleys, aftermarket bolt on's etc

They look good with Stickers too :D

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denniskgb
First year for non forged motor and still no abs brakes. You might as well go to 2001 or 2002 because of abs. That is what I did.
I second this.......

Yeah but the best color steel grey was only available that year

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang