Considering installing door poppers

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost have the Viper (1995 RT/10) for a month and opening the doors from the inside is getting to be a hassle, been contemplating on installing the door poppers to both doors. Read thru the search forum and seems to be a straight thru installation. Just a few questions, before I begin my task:

For those who have installed, what's your opinion?

How hard is it to remove the door panel to get access to the door assembly ( Still waiting on my Service Manual, any day now?

What do you recommend, the 15lb or 45lb actuator/solenoid?

Any problems to be aware of during or after installation?

Any suggestion or opinions are welcome. Thanks!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh nooo another nanny tech thread :omg:

just kidding

i think it is a cool mod, have them on my gen ii and it is fun opening the door every time

post up your results

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/whatcha-need-your-snake/629252-94-rt-door-poppers.html

I used VPA#80138 Heavy Duty trunk/hatch/door release. It was about $25, bought it and installed on my '94 so long ago can't remember. Zero problems with unit, wired to use signal from third button on OEM key fob. Don't rely on ground through the door hinge, run a wire from solenoid into the cabin and attach to ground. The hinge is a ground path 99.7% of the time. For those other 0.3% you have to lean on the door first.

The door panels simply unscrew. You have to move the fuzzy carpet to find them all. The upper half will demonstrate the clever attaching mechanisms around the wing on the door. I don't have the seatbelts in the door anymore, but there should still be lots of places to mount the popper.

OP
OP
DeLViper

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh nooo another nanny tech thread :omg:

just kidding

i think it is a cool mod, have them on my gen ii and it is fun opening the door every time

post up your results

Will do, looking forward to getting it done!

OP
OP
DeLViper

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://forums.viperclub.org/whatcha-need-your-snake/629252-94-rt-door-poppers.html

I used VPA#80138 Heavy Duty trunk/hatch/door release. It was about $25, bought it and installed on my '94 so long ago can't remember. Zero problems with unit, wired to use signal from third button on OEM key fob. Don't rely on ground through the door hinge, run a wire from solenoid into the cabin and attach to ground. The hinge is a ground path 99.7% of the time. For those other 0.3% you have to lean on the door first.

The door panels simply unscrew. You have to move the fuzzy carpet to find them all. The upper half will demonstrate the clever attaching mechanisms around the wing on the door. I don't have the seatbelts in the door anymore, but there should still be lots of places to mount the popper.

Tom

Ordered my solenoid, so it should be here by today or tomorrow. Where in the cabin is a good location for the ground? My FOB has a trunk button, so I'll use that as my passenger side.

Last edited:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I ran the wire through the rubber accordion and I think there is a ground screw close to where it comes into the cabin. You will be removing the knee bolster anyway, so there are likely more.

It's all preference - some use the unlock button to both disable the alarm and pop the door simultaneously. I assume you're doing this. I wasn't going to install a passenger popper, so I use the trunk button for the driver door popper. By default I have a "help" button - if I pop the door before disarming, the horn goes off.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MANDATORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the first things I did. Awesome mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:2tu:

OP
OP
DeLViper

DeLViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, I ran the wire through the rubber accordion and I think there is a ground screw close to where it comes into the cabin. You will be removing the knee bolster anyway, so there are likely more.

It's all preference - some use the unlock button to both disable the alarm and pop the door simultaneously. I assume you're doing this. I wasn't going to install a passenger popper, so I use the trunk button for the driver door popper. By default I have a "help" button - if I pop the door before disarming, the horn goes off.

I'm going to use the unlock button to disable the alarm and pop the driver door, and the trunk button for the passenger. Maybe down the line, I'll install a popper for the trunk and run it towards the dash and install a button there for quick access.