1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continental Tires vs Michelins

Discussion in 'SRT10 and SRT10 Coupe Discussions' started by phangz, Mar 22, 2021.

1. phangz

phangz Enthusiast

I've heard recently on Facebook that some folks are running Continental Tires and getting good reviews. Are any of you using this brand and if so, what set up did you go with?

2. BYAIC

BYAIC Enthusiast

Have you found a set of Continentals in the sizes that you need? I have not seen them as a match / option in the factory fit tire sizes for my Gen III.

So of course I have no experience with Continentals. But I have had many sets of Michelin Pilot Sports and Super Sports and I like them a lot!

3. SA HEAT

SA HEAT Enthusiast

nm

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  4. Blue Vert

Blue Vert Enthusiast

I just received delivery in 24 hours on a set of 4 Continental Extreme Contact Sport summer tires from Viper JonB at Viper Parts Rack for my Gen IV. He recommended these as being specifically designed for Vipers by Continental to fill the Michelin void. I have been checking around for Michelin Pilot Super Sports, but can only find rears, and with a date code of early 2019. Fronts I could only find Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's. So, not wanting to go with a mix, I'm trying the Conti's. I'm 95% street driving, hence the recommendation. Plus, these are 3 months old!

The setup is factory 275/35 ZR 18 95Y in front, with 355/30 ZR 19 99Y in rear vs. 345/30 R19 factory. According to JonB, these fit and give you an extra 10mm of tread, which I find enticing! I'll post how they ride once I get them mounted. Price was $1,400 delivered.

IMG_0871.jpg

5. MoparMap

MoparMap VCA National President Venom Member

Interesting, keep us posted! The Michelins have been great tires over the years, so disappointing to see them get so scarce. Hopefully these are just as good and will be readily available for years to come.

6. Richard S

Richard S Enthusiast

Got a gen2 GTS and RT/10 .. I want to keep them original and both require the 17" tires front and rear. It's been gawd awful finding tires over the years. But, with lots of patience (years) and keeping an eye out I've managed to occasionally find them... but barely (Michelin has thankfully put a batch out every few years).

So, no more burnouts and need to be extremely careful not to flat spot 'em (have no abs).. which has taken a bit of the reckless fun away.

I LOVE the Michelins.. never had a white knuckle moment due to tire grip. I HOPE Continental also builds the smaller 17's for us older Vipers.

7. Viper-10

Viper-10 Enthusiast

I'm sure that they will last longer than Michelins, but if you want the best handling stay with Michelins... they'll give you more advanced warning before letting go laterally. The Michelins were designed for the weight and torque of the Vipers from the beginning. Good luck with the Continentals. I would love to hear how they do at the track.