Coolant change questions.....again.

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read Ron's well written coolant change proceedure for Gen II's of October 2000 but cannot find a thread for my '93 Gen I. I thought it'd be a good project to get them all changed while in hibernation; I've personally done the Gen II's and III but not the Gen I.

Questions:

1. The engine block drain plug on the drivers side is above the starter motor. How critical is it to drain both sides?

2. This Generation does not have an expansion tank but does have the overflow bottle behind the fascia. How important is it to drain this bottle and how have you gotten access to it without removing the fascia?

3. I've read where some of you have literally flushed the system with several gallons of distilled water. Necessary in your opinion? My thinking is to just use tap water (city, not from a well) several times until the drained fluid is clear.

FYI, I did drain the fluid; it's very clean, not muddy. 7500 miles on the car.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
First off, allow me to say that I hate this particular job. :)

In the past, I have indeed flushed the system with many gallons of distilled water...admitting that when I used 20 gallons, it was because I was cheating by not draining the block plugs. Pro's say drain the block plugs, and I agree...noting it can be messy. It's surprising just how much coolant is left in if you skip this step.

I always flush the overflow bottle in the nose by feeding a small PE tube retrograde through the overflow port (via the"porthole" inside the wheelwell) and down into the base of the bottle, draining it via suction, then adding water through the fill hose to refill the bottle, drain again. I generally only have to do this once or twice...and it keeps the bottle clean and relativefully free of debris. Finally, I refill bottle with coolant and move on.

Did I say that I REALLY dislike this particular job...especially when done at home ??

OP
OP
S

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve, I'm with you on the HATE part of this job. I couldn't remember who flushed with all those gallons of distilled water, so it was you, ha :). Even though I have a hoist it's surrounded closely by other cars. I had to do a vehicle swap yesterday and couldn't get the snakes back in the garage with only 1/4" of snow on the pavement.

I'll give the PE tube a try. Thanks, Dave

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
It's no accident that I just happen to need coolant changes when Tom Sessions arrives for our twice-a-year Special Service Sessions. He is able to do this at a dealership faster, better, and more completely that I can do at home...plus, it gives me a chance to have a real expert look over our Vipers regularly...often spotting things that I would not.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After researching this for a few months it was pretty easy to do with my husband since we had some tools that aided in this job.

1) Removed the lower radiator hose and drained coolant. Made sure heater knob was in the correct position.

2) Bought a plug removal tool that goes on the end of a socket and drained coolant. Wasn't dirty but did it for peace of mind.

3) Used an electric pump to drain the overflow tank in the front. Had one for my swimming pool.

4) Reconnected everything and filled with distilled water. To fill the over flow tank in the front that is a pain to see, disconnect the rear rubber hose on the coolant fill tank and stick a small funnel in the hose and keep pouring until the water spills over the vent hole on the overflow tank in the front. You will hear it and see it spill out on the ground.

5) He has a tool called an "Airlift" that removes air from the system and refills it in on step. Used it to put the distilled water in to mess around with it on this car. Works great. Google it if you want to know more.

6) Did the same step when filling with the coolant. We used "Evan's coolant" which is a waterless coolant and will never have to be replaced again since it has no water. The airlift pulls 95% or better of the water out of the whole system if you leave it go for 10 minutes or so there is no worry about corrosion anymore. Yes it is expensive. $40.00 a gallon but this is a nice car. Used almost four gallons after filling the overflow tank in the front and spilling a little. This was on my 96 GTS but everyone told me gen 1 and 2 were similar.

Distilled water is very cheap so we used it.

Hope this helps. To re-answer your question, find the hose that goes to your overflow tank and fill it with a small funnel. Mine was connected at the rear of my plastic fill tank but said yours does not have one .(Expansion tank).