Coolant Issue

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what may have caused the following situation, any help would be appreciated.
I pulled the car into the garage last night and noticed coolant leaking from underneath. It ended up draining the entire reservior tank that is located in the front fairing (in front of the passenger wheel by the fog light). I checked the main tank up top and it is still at the max line.
I pulled the hose from the top radiator cap and added some water into it to run into the reservoir tank. I wanted to see if it was leaking or punctured from that fairing screw. It's holding the water and there is no sign of any leaks.
Any idea what may have happened or what I should check? It's a 2000 GTS with a base paxton if that helps.

Thanks.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the level of antifreeze in the Paxton's intercooler tank. If its low you may have a leak in the intercooler system somewhere. On my 06 the intercooler pump is located behind passenger side fog light. Is this the same setup on yours? If so, check the pump and lines to the pump. Also check intercooler which you should find in front of your radiator, you may have punctured it.

OP
OP
B

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paxton's tank is over on the driver side by the wheel on my car.
I just assumed the issue had to be over by the reservoir tank since all the fluid on the floor originated from in front of the passenger wheel.

I'll check out the paxton fluid level etc tonight.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tank on my Paxton is on the driver's side as well but lines run from it to the pump behind the passenger fog light. I have a custom heat exchanger on my car that is larger than the one Paxton provides and it runs across the front of the car. Not sure where the factory exchanger would go and I'm not sure my 06 setup is the same as yours. Good luck tracking it down.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the fascia tank... Was it bone dry or just low?

A defective radiator cap (on the tank you did the little hose thing) would allow excess fluid into the overflow fascia tank, overflowing it, then when the engine cooled it could **** the tank dry (or so).

So what was the time frame between when you shut off the engine, saw the leak, and then checked the fascia tank level? Three things... Were they all at once or hours between?

OP
OP
B

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I pulled into the garage and shut the car off it sounded like some liquid dripping. So I checked under the car and seen it leaking out from the front fascia (passenger side right where the reservoir tank is). I came back to it and checked it 1/2 hour later and by then I had a pool of coolant on the floor.
I then checked the fascia tank and it was bone dry. I checked the main tank up top and it was still at the max level.

Dave, I seen your other post where you said to pull the hose off the cap in order to fill the reservoir tank.
I dryed the reservoir tank and then followed your directions expecting to find a leak in the tank some where. But nothing leaked.

Do you think it's a faulty radiator cap?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is pretty weird. The inlet to the fascia tank is at the top, but there's a molded in tube to the tank that runs to the bottom. If that tube to tank joint leaked, then siphoning is possible, but not probable.

The vent on the fascia tank is at the top. It goes downs down the side of the tank maybe slightly, but there really doesn't exist the possibility to siphon from there.

The tank does have a lid right on top, but it's just a snap on lid like many washer fluid bottles have.

Since you did not mention it we can assume you did not overheat as indicated by the dash instruments?

If you had a HUGE air pocket in the cooling system, I suppose that 30 minutes of engine cooling could have sucked the overflow tank dry. That is the way it works. Just normally not under those circumstances.

I would take the cap and either test or replace it. Cheap starting point. And obviously fill and purge any air from the system.

OP
OP
B

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on the gauges I didn't overheat the car at all.
The paxton was installed right before I parked it last winter so the car has only been driven for about 40 minutes since then.
Maybe it was an air bubble from when the paxton was installed?

I'll get a new cap and fill and purge the system.

Thanks for the help:2tu:

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just fill it and run it again around town. I just got my '01 GTS back on the road and the same thing happened. They had run it for about an hour with little fluid loss. I ran it for about 20 miles and when I got home and checked the coolant after it cooled down the reservoir was completely empty and the rad was full. I topped it up and it has been good for last 300 miles.

OP
OP
B

Baked

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. I'm stopping at Renfrew after work to grab a new cap and then I'll fill it up and see what happens.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a tip for ya...from DLM

Use a different color antifreeze in the paxton cooler than you use in the radiator. You will always know which one to look at then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery