Cop Vs. Snake

Bob Pommer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny story.

I am driving down Michigan Avenue in Chicago a few days ago and an unmarked car with 4 Cops, (Looked like some sort of special tactical team... body armor and very heavily armed.. ) pulls up next to me and starts gawking at the car. The driver say's "SWEEEEEET ride..." "How fast is it?" I then start to go on about how it has enough torque that if driven the wrong direction could potentially reverse the spin of the earth... and how it absolutely flys, 122MPH in 3rd gear etc..... Then realizing that I am speaking to cops, I throw in a "Of course within the posted legal speed limits and traffic laws"....

The cop says "F--- THAT... I don't care how fast you go, I want to see this thing in action... and tells me to light them up and show him what this thing was made of and that he had no interest in giving me a ticket for doing so..."

So I obliged... I lit-em-up for pretty much a half of a city block.. I basically showed him 0-70-0(It was late at night and the section of Michigan Ave was empty for as far as I could see ahead..)I didnt go too fast, We were IN the city after all... He actually tried to keep up... When I came to a stop at the next light, they pulled up, all laughing and saying "g-d Dam- that thing is wicked... They thanked me for the show and then went on their merry way to go fight crime and keep our fine city safe from lessor cars....

Thought I would share...

Speedstyle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL, you don't hear a story like this too often. I was just waiting for you to say, "at this point they pulled me over."

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story! I had a similiar situation years ago when I had my '97. But not on Michigan Ave!!! Good God!! :usa: :usa:

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Kansas City the officers get in their own Vipers and smoke the tires all the way up the street :) We currently have two in our club.

Jerry

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cops with an attitude, good attitude for a change.

My step-dad is a sargent for the local city police dept.
Took him for a 155mph ride a couple years ago in my RT.
He was totally impressed, said we don't have a damm thing that'll touch this beast.
Except Motorola!

There are cool cops out there that don't try to play god.

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in Kansas City the officers get in their own Vipers and smoke the tires all the way up the street :) We currently have two in our club.

Jerry

funny, two days ago, at 6am, i had a cop try to instigate a race on Broadway, and again on 12th St. he revved on me, jumped/lurched on me, and nailed it a couple times off the light, smoking the tires and getting sideways through the intersection. i didn't take the bait though, because you just never know around here.

Walt McFarland

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob;

Great post. Here's a similar one--only I wasn't as brave.

Drove onto the CIA last month for a client meeting. Essentially the whole tactical force came out to see the car. I asked how may Viper's come through in a month and they said I was the first--ever. At that, the leader stepped forward and said: "In honor of the first Viper at CIA headquarters I hereby suspend the speed limit for you."

I didn't punch it but thought it was cool.

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bob, you're my kind of guy! That is awesome! I am glad you lit 'em up for some cool cops! There are a lot more cool cops out there than people think!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno - I was best man for a cop once. He had a little MGB-GT with a Boss 302 and toploader in it. We travelled the 80 miles to his wedding in under 1 hour which included heavy traffic on a two lane highway and 2 very twisty gorges - very few good straights. The groomsman was over 6 foot tall so had to sit in the front. I had to lie on my side in full tux, with my ars poking against the rear window glass - i kid you not. We didn't care - it was a blast!

It was a real hoot - the "cop" dropped the clutch at 4000rpm, my butt slammed against the rear window and off we went, running at 140mph several times. My only concern was that the rear window seals were in good shape as the acceleration was fierce and I had this picture of me and my butt projectiling out into the air like something out of Road Runner.

Cars we passed could have got mooned by captain one eye, but I kept my pants on. Talk about a wild ride... come to think of it - maybe he didn't want to make it to the wedding.... we still laugh about it.

Cops can have fun too.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walt - you were the first GTS, I guess. I drove my yellow 95 RT/10 to the Agency for interagency meetings two or three times in summer '98 when I was stationed at DIA in DC. Fun drives down the parkway prior...

Yeah it grabbed serious attention.

Those suckers didn't remember a yellow RT/10 from 5 years ago? I am depressed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya