Cop-"Well... it's a Viper..." (great story)

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cop-\"Well... it\'s a Viper...\" (great story)

I'm heading up to a business meeting, travelling from southwestern CT all the way up to Boston, MA, doing about 130mph most of the way. (didn't want to go faster due to traffic during the daytime)

I hit I-90 (Mass Turnpike) and my radar detector is going off every 3 miles! There were more freakin' speed traps on the Mass Turnpike than I have seen anywhere else in my life! There were cars being pulled over left and right.

So of course I'm braking hard from 130mph down to 65mph to avoid a ticket and evaded detection about 6 times. I was really pushing my luck, but I had faith in my trusty Valentine One radar detector. It had saved my countless times over the years!

So I continue to accelerate back to 130mph each time I pass by the speed trap, continuing to push my luck.

I approached my exit, started to go through a toll booth when my peripheral vision picks up flashing lights behind me.

DOH! it's a cop!

What the hell? My radar detector didn't go off? what gives?

Maybe they timed my arrival from when I got the toll booth ticket 30 miles ago?

in any event, I pull over to the side of the road just after the tollbooth.

Officer comes up to me and says:

Officer:
You had no idea I was behind you, do you?

Me: <shook my head 'no' in a very shocked, sheepish fashion>

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?

Me: About 80mph? <I couldn't lie and say I was doing 65mph, but I knew he didn't have me on radar. I knew he must have been following me, so I figured I could BS my way to getting a lower ticket.>

Officer: It took me quite awhile to catch up you. You had to be doing at least 110mph. You had to be going a lot faster than that, I can smell the exhaust burning when I got out of my car. Your car is practically smoking.

Me: Oh, that's due to the special composite body of the Viper which gives off a strange odor, plus I've been driving for over 70 miles, so it's going to be running hot on a sunny day like today.

Officer: License please

I hand him my license and he walks back to his car.

3 minutes later 5 Massachussetts state police car, lights a blazin', sirens a blastin' come storming into the scene. I guess he called for backup just in case I ran. I guess they figured they'd need 5 state troopers to catch a fast Viper!! hahaha!!

So then my passenger starts laughing at this whole scene. I was half expecting an overhead helicopter to show up to make sure I didn't try to run. Though the Viper could probably outrun some helicopters too.

So I'm sitting there in my Viper and I say to my passenger, "There's no way I'm getting a warning now with all his police buddies on the scene. He's gotta brag he snagged a Viper when he goes back to the state barracks!"

I decided to risk life and limb and get out of the car and approach the officer's car. (You're not supposed to get out of the car.) I thought maybe I could sweet talk my way out of it.

I approach the car with caution, just in case he gets trigger happy that I'm approaching him while he is in a "vulnerable" seated position.

Me: I apologize officer. I just broke the 1,000 mile engine break-in period and I just wanted to see what it could do.

Cop: Yeah, I understand it's a beautiful day and you want to cruise and all, but you were weaving in and out of traffic.

Me: <thinking to myself>. No I was not! I was passing people on the right, but I wasn't switching lanes that rapidly. He must have mis-saw since he was SOOOO far behind me! (of course he was wayyy back) : )

Me: (being very agreeable) Yeah you're right. Sorry bout that.

<female officer approaches>
Female cop: So how fast were you going?

Me: I thought I was only doing 80mph, but like the officer said I was weaving in traffic. (figured I'd throw the officer a 'bone' by agreeing with his assessment, even though it was wrong)

Female cop: Well it's a very nice car, you should take it easy.

Me: Yeah, I know. I actually picked up this car just a month ago up here in Mass. It was actually the pace car in the Boston Marathon. (figured maybe mentioning this fact might help sway him towards giving me a warning)

Female cop: Well why don't you go and have a seat and he'll be right with you.

Me: thinking "Doh! She wants me to leave. Guess my mission has failed. This ticket is not going to be a pretty sight..."

<all other cop cars leave but the 1 that pulled me over>

Officer: Here's your license.

<hands me a paper ticket>

Officer: I'm only going to give you a warning since you will be really screwed if I write you up for the speed you were going.

Me: <ecstatic> Thank you officer! <read the name on his badge. Thank you Officer Smith <not his real name>

<reached out and shook his hand>

Me: I mean you could have went back to brag to your buddies that you snagged a Viper..

Officer: Yeah, well this is a beautiful car. Take it easy ok?

Me: i really appreciate you not giving me a ticket...

<now picture the most perfect tone of voice to say this sentence>

Officer: Well... it's a Viper...

Just the way he said it made me crack a smile... It was almost as if he was saying to me:

<winks at me> "Yeah, I understand this is a hot car and it just needs to be 'opened up' every once in awhile"

He was really cool, and I commend him for "understanding" the "need for speed" in such a gorgeous vehicle that just cries out "drive me fast!!!"

It's not often that I give a thumbs up to a law officer, but this guy earned 2 thumbs from me.

Wherever you are, Mr Officer, thanks again and may we never ever meet again..

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Cop-\"Well... it\'s a Viper...\" (great story)

A friend of mine had a similar experience with his 360 yellow
Modena in Palm Springs, Only there was a Helicopter! He pulled
over and waited for the cops to catch up and they eventually gave
him a ticket for 70mph instead of 130 ish!
I guess if you try to be nice first you might get out of some of them? If you don't you won't for sure!

Glad to hear you got out of yours!
Regards,
Steve

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

viperct2001, You are lucky!! Each time I get pulled over they are writing something for me! You must have the LUCK of the "Irish" on your side!!
BURNOUT.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm half Irish and I'm only "lucky" 1/4 of the time. Good to know there might be some decent cops out there. But they still have a long way to go in my book.

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is it possible the Mass State Police have been given a memo to cut the Vipers some slack? Back in 96, I went clean in to an "instant on" at @95mph in a 55 zone outside of Boston and the Trooper pulls out and takes the station wagon gong 60 right BEHIND me. Wierd.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

yeah me too chucky...once a piggy..always a piggy.
but hey, I've had guns pointed at me for no reason and slammed against my car. oink! Chuck do you belong to a militia?

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Well, I am Irish, so I guess "luck of the Irish" was on my side!

On another note, I caught a nail at 2,000 miles (not so lucky).

I was driving it pretty hard and nearly lost control. (accelerated hard to 60mph in a 45mph zone)

Thought maybe I turned the wheel slightly, but it scared the bejevus out of me!

Then some teenagers pulled up along side and told me my tire was low. Now this was lucky, cuz I was just about to get on the highway.

Had I done so, I probably would have f-ed up some very expensive rims.

Once again, I'll chalk this experience up to being more "lucky" than not!

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score

oh yeah, meant to ask, does anyone know if a brand new Viper with only 2,000 miles has a free tire replacement,i.e. warranty.

had it plugged for now, but it is definitely screwed up some. Squeals now when i go around turns.

not sure if road hazards are covered under the warranty.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great story !! very lucky!!

I was pulled over one night by a local cop taking off from the signal too fast... he said 0-40 in 2 seconds... he asked for the license and insurance and just said
"James is you keep taking off from signal lights like that it is going to be a very long summer"
" it is hard to go slow in that car, have a nice night"

It was back in March...
Luckly no run in since...

smile.gif
smile.gif

OP
OP
V

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score

0-40 in 2 seconds is a speeding ticket?

I assume this was a 45mph speed zone and it wasn't a speeding ticket, but rather one of those "Exhibition of Speed" tickets that I've never gotten, but I have heard of.

I think I remember my boss got one for accelerating his Corvette "hard" in a downtown area. Cop had no radar, just heard his RPMs hit the room and rattle the downtown windows!

"Exhibition of Speed" is a ridiculous ticket if such a thing exists. There should be nothing wrong with accelerating up to the speed limit. As long as it's clear road ahead and you can clearly see both sides of the road (to see if someone is about to turn onto your road).

If anything, your loud engine will forewarn anyone pulling out of driveways and such that you are coming! They should thank us for the "extra" audible forewarning in addition to the visual cue!

Your thoughts? anyone hear of "Exhibition of speed" tickets or know much about them? i.e. how it affects insurance, points, etc?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was pulled over going 0-40 in 2 by a local police officer
in a undercover car... i don't even think he had a ticket book?
he didn't get me on radar; my detector never went off. I just think he wanted to see that car!!!!

That is why no ticket it was a 45 mile an hour zone.
also he never mentioned exhibition of speed.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I live in MA, and take the pike to work every day. I have been pulled over under the limit, and given the run around on license, registration et al a couple of times. Have been paced for over 20 miles and had all kinds of trouble. So now.. unless the roads are empty, and the V1 doesnt go off.. its the speed limit for me in the right most lane.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

BTW I did get let off with a verbal warning in CT once when I was in a C5 though.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eng12:

Afy Do not know what to tell you I have had trouble with some town cops but never a trooper.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I cant prove it.. but for some reason I think I am the wrong racial profile..
frown.gif
frown.gif

I have fun driving never the less.. and try not to let it borther me..
smile.gif
smile.gif