Copied an idea(but made it better)

G

Gotvenom 08

Was searching that bay site that has auctions.Forget the name of it off hand but I think you know the site.:DLooking for viper related items that are sold there.I ran across one of these.Kind of a nifty idea.(why didn't I think of that?):dunno:Here is a pic of the item.Key chain holder.
You must be registered for see images attach

So I went to work.As some of you know I like to work with aluminum,as it is easy to machine and polishes and paints well.So in my free time I designed my version of this item.The first prototype pieces looked like this.

I know it's not a Pete version(but stay tuned)
The dimensions are approx.6" long by 4 inches high by 3/8 thick.
I went to a hardware store to purchase the hooks.Actually these are made for wood,but made just enough interference fit that the soft hook would actually tap it's self into the aluminum.Kind of a jury rig idea,but it worked.Looking at the finished product,I wasn't satisfied.I knew we could do better than cheap wood hooks.Thought the idea over and came up with a different style hook idea.And not only that,I totally redesigned the whole project.The beauty of being a free spirit and just kind of letting your thoughts and ideas transform into a product.:)I enlarged the whole item to approx 10 inches long by 6 inches high.
This pic is the first larger piece I tried:)rolleyes:) machining.
The scrap aluminum was 3003 type and is gummy and is some what difficult to machine with out coolant(coolant hose was not in proper location)As the pic shows the high burr and the total movement of the part when the end mill welded itself with aluminum.It has a tendency to turn red and melt and then move the part in the vice as the pic shows.(this is why you make a first piece run and tweak as necessary):)

So after this fiasco I ordered 6061 aluminum which is much friendlier to the end mill(machine)and polishes nicely.
So it's a learning curve,and we proceeded from there.Had 2 bars of aluminum delivered that was 6 inches wide by 3/8 thick and 12'long.Cut that to desired length and went to work.
Here is a pic of the new design hook.3/4 dia face with a necked down body of 3/8 and a smaller end that is 1/4 inch to press fit into the body of the key chain holder.

As you can see these were etched with a small ball end mill.When it gets this small it is a very fine line of not machining to deep so that the lines of the logo run together.But still etch deep enough so that the logo still is defined enough so that after pre polishing and painting and then re polishing the logo stands out and is not just a blob of paint or that the logo is not just polished off.Some what tricky.

So after I cut pieces to desired length and set up in vice,a fly cutter was used to machine the surface flat.This way when you etch,it stays consistent in depth.After a few minor adjustments things went well.Both styles of logos were made.Drilled and reamed a .249 diameter hole ( times 4) to accept the hooks that were made prior.Pressed in the hooks after polishing and painting of both items and they were done.Also to mention that a hole was drilled in back of item to hang on nail.And to make it not tilt when a heavy key chain was put on hook,I used 2 sided carpet tape so that it would adhere to the wall it was placed on.
Here are a few pics of the finished items.
This pic shows the size difference of the 2 items.

Prepolished and painted before the final polish.

One of my favorite pics.Love that purple~~~~~~~:D

So after that was done.I had some scrap pieces that were left after I cut out the logo on the band saw.

The black marks (on the item)were the pieces that were left.So the stacks on both sides of the item are the pieces that were made from the scraps.These are etched shields.What purpose they have,I have no clue but I had to make some thing out of them.
A pic of a few painted.Still don't know why I used that(gawd awful color):

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, pretty work, as usual. It seems I haven't seen you post in a very long time. Or maybe I'm just cruising the wrong sub-forums.

Bob

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see a great side business being developed here.
Post up prices and get ready for the money!!!
You should have no problem selling these things in time for Xmas.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Tim

FANTASTIC WORK as always...... I see you done the Sneakys in the correct colour LOL:2tu:!!!!!

THATS ALOT OF ALLOY:omg:

You really should take this sort of thing up for a living:headbang:

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy Crap I need those!!!! Your skills I mean, I am so jealous! Thats amazing work. I had seen the lame key holder that you got the inspiration from and was way disappointed at its low quality but your work is awesome!

OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

Thanks every one for the comps.Yes I have been off the board for a while.Just giving it a break.

About pricing and selling these.I have to clear that with management first.I am giving a portion of the proceeds to the VCA,if I am able to sell these on here.This is a very limited run of these.Pretty much what is made is all that is going to be made.Unless the demand is so great that it warrants me to produce more of these.

I have been buried in projects on my little hiatus from the forums.Plus it's hunting season so I have been busy with that too.It's my therapy of sorts!:)

So when I find out more,I will pass along the info for those that are interested in these items.

Thanks

Timbo

P.S.

Speaking of projects.Here is my latest(latest) item.A member (Baz UK) asked me if it was possible to make some cabinet door handle pulls.He is going to have a custom garage for sure.Only one like it in Britain.:D
So that idea didn't sound to difficult.So head first I went into this project.:rolleyes:
The head dia is approx 1 3/8 the body is 5/8 and it is drilled and tapped for a 10/32 screw.Over all length is about 1 1/16.
This pic is of the first prototype ones made.The small Pete was just that,it was to small.So I made that logo bigger,,,as the middle one shows.But is was to far down on the face of the knob. Moved the logo up just a bit as the far left one shown is the final product.I was tinkering with putting the word viper on it,as shown in pic.But it looked like to much clutter on the face of it.I think just the logo and wording is perfect.After all every one knows that the logo is that of a viper, right?:dunno::smirk:

These were made on a turning center(Mazak) then the secondary operation was made in a machining center.Made a soft jaw in vise to accept the 5/8 body.Took an end mill and faced off the top for a nice smooth finish.Then etched the wording on it.After that a prepolish was needed,and then ready for either painting or anodizing.I chose to paint a few to see how they would look.

Here is a pic to show size relative to a quarter.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Send me 2 of everything you have made that has the fangs logo/srt-10/acr and tell me where I send the payment. I am serious, I love the quality of your work.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always thinking Timbo... Very nice. You make me want to go out and buy a CNC mill. I like the cool etched logos and they just can't be done otherwise....

One of these days.

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those cabinet/drawer pulls are an awesome idea! I'm fairly confident that the wife won't let me put them in the kitchen...maybe my office :dunno:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gotvenom 08

Well done Timbo! You always seem to keep out doing yourself!

And it is getting very difficult to do this.But I take no credit for this one.As I did copy an idea.Just putting my spin on it.:)

Send me 2 of everything you have made that has the fangs logo/srt-10/acr and tell me where I send the payment. I am serious, I love the quality of your work.
LOL..Well that will need a small semi to haul all the stuff I have!!::omg:Thank you for the comps.Breaking the bank too.:dunno:

Always thinking Timbo... Very nice. You make me want to go out and buy a CNC mill. I like the cool etched logos and they just can't be done otherwise....

One of these days.

Don't buy a CNC.Just contact me for all your needs!:smirk:Love to make viper items as you well know.Thanks for comps.

Those cabinet/drawer pulls are an awesome idea! I'm fairly confident that the wife won't let me put then in the kitchen...maybe my office :dunno:.

I have em all over my house.G/F thinks I'm nuts.Little does she know.I know I'm nuts!:smirk:Life is short and having a viper knob to grab every day just makes life that much better.::D
That does indeed sound wrong,but is is funny.;)

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok I have to have this for Christmas - orange - fangs logo, with the amazingly cool "hooks"

this is way cooler than the current "Marvin Martial and Space K-9" I have today. ha ha.

Please keep us posted on pricing and how to order.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302