Copperhead and the 1/4 mile

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful Sunday so my wife and a few friends went to the drag strip for the day. This is the first time to the strip since I switched tires from runflats to PS2. So my only goal of the day was to reach into the 11 second range. The best I time i had run with the run flats was 12.06

We got there and I went straight to tech and then straight to the staging lanes. I ran a 12.08, spinning off line and into second. Adjusted some tire pressures, let the car cool down and knew that today was all about the launch.

I brought the camera but my wife and friends skills need more work than my launching skills

my 2nd run of the day

YouTube - MOV014

My 3rd run with what I thought was the best launch I had

YouTube - MOV01A

Then I get called out by this E55. Very fast car it ran 11.67 this run. I tried to get out of the hole hard and spun off the line but still ran my fastest of the day. I would like to say if I didn't spin i may have got him because I was pulling slightly on him after the 1/8, but he got me and my wife told me she liked his car better, I told her she was walking home.

YouTube - MOV01D

Last run of the day was against GeneralLee and his Viper. I had a good launch but something happen that happened to me one other time at the track. I went into 3rd gear and nothing. The shifter was stuck and the reverse lights came on. I left the clutch in and was able to pull it back out. Anyone have ideas of why this happen? I know I didn't put it in reverse

YouTube - MOV01E

Last edited:

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice runs and videos, I had a E55 that ran in the mid 11's as well, they are easy to launch and hard to catch, in a longer race or from a roll you would win.... is your Viper stock?

DPViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm guessing you pushed the shifter between 1st and 3rd. The trans/shifter moves during hard acceleration. If you bent a fork in the trans you would have a hard time shifting. Many owners have purchased poly motor and trans mounts from Mark J at woodhouse for that very reason. Good luck.

OP
OP
N

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper has Corsa exhaust, RT highflow, K&N, and a Mopar computer

3.55 gears stock flywheel. I will be installing those mounts this winter

Last edited:

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was nice to meet you Anthony! Glad you got the times you wanted! I noticed you were using the water box. With street tires you usually want to stay out of it, but you were doing well so I didnt say anything. What were your 60's? And that Copperhead was beautiful!

OP
OP
N

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well i wish you would have. I have always been told to keep the front out but not the backs. I'll try that next time out. My best 60ft was 1.84 and that was the run against the E55 with the spinning off the line. So I dont know if the timing was right but my others for the day were 1.84, 1.86, and a 2.01 on my first run.

I feel like the car falls flat after I hit 4th gear. Is it suppose to feel like that?

Do these times look right for the mods that are done to the car.

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well your 60's were on par with mine. I feel Im a pretty good driver, and have cut some 1.7s on balding PS2's, but by no means a pro at it. I dont have experience with a Gen III, but possibly the gears hurting the top end? I dont see why though. I know my car pulls hard untill I lift, regardless of what gear Im in. But Id say your times should be pretty good for your mods. My mods are in my sig. I have more done, but your starting with 50 more HP than me. I just recently dynoed 438 HP on a DYNO DYNAMICS dyno, which are said to be about 18% lower than a Dyno Jet. So I should be right around 516 HP or so on a Dyno Jet. Id think you should be about the same. It was also kinda hot so we should go back when it cools off some and go faster! :2tu:

OP
OP
N

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I was told the DA was somewhere around 1800-2000 above sea level with all other factors. I don't know how accurate that is. I know the track is like 700 ft above sea level