Corsa and R/T high flow cat questions

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have read several threads on the subject, but I haven't found anything to help me with the decision on corsa 2.5" inlet vs. 3.0"inlet, and R/T high flow cats - ceramic or metal substrate, and which combination of these 4 choices and why. Thanks for the help on a well worn subject.:dunno:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a million threads on it, and all I can offer is my own opinion and observation :) I have the 3" Random cat (ceramic) along with the Corsa Track exhaust, and it was easy to install and sounds good. It's nowhere near as loud as I would have wanted, so if I were to go back and do it again, I'd probably opt for the metal substrate cats - which I hear flow a little better and are a little louder. JonB also told me that the guys at Corsa liked the sound of the ceramic Random cats better, and they may be a better judge of sound than me.

I chose to not go with 2.5" 'just because'... There's not a whole lot of difference in sound or power from what I hear, but I figured I may as well go as big as possible in case I ever want to do serious mods later on. I'd rather have a slightly oversized exhaust than a slightly undersized. But, for all intents and purposes, there's not much difference.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SEARCH FEATURE
Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered! In some cases, the information may be out of date and a new thread will be needed, but in many cases, an answer to your question may be under 10 seconds away!

The VCA Web Forums has a search feature very similar to web search engines like Google. By typing in a few words, it will search all old posts since the website was created to find words matching what you typed in. Be mindful though, the more words you type the fewer results you will get as it will try to find posts only with all of the words you types. In saying that as well, by using words like “The” and “It” you will get hundreds if not thousands of threads. I might suggest sticking to main words. Also try to avoid year specific searches. It will block out a lot of good info. For example:

“What is the best exhaust system for my 2006”

It might be better as:

“best exhaust”

To do a search, click on Search located in the center of the Directional Information Toolbar. If you are wanting a quick overall search, just type in the words in the search box. For this example, we will go with an Advanced Search as you can further clarify your search parameters.

Once you have clicked on Search, click Advanced Search located under the Quick Search field.

Type in the key words you want to search for. Once you have typed in your key words, click on the drop down arrow on the Search All Open Forums tab located on the lower right side of the Search page if you would like to clarify your search. Choose a specific forums you would like the question searched under. In some cases this is not needed but if you are wanting the best exhaust for your 2008, you will not want the threads from the 1992 cars. This feature helps to cut down on the amount of non-applicable information that will be presented to you. Do remember though, by selecting the one section you are narrowing down the number of places the search will look. If there was a thread in the Racing section, and you only selected the SRT section, you will not see that information. This menu can be useful if used correctly.

Once complete, click Search and see your answers! Feel free to play, there is no limit to the amount of searches you can do!

ANOTHER OPTION IS TO USE THIS SEARCH.
Google Custom Search - PLUMCRAZY VCA SEARCH

OP
OP
P

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Martin, that was the kind of feedback I was looking for that was unique to my question. It is my understanding that not only are there sound differences with these 4 combinations but also back-pressure differences that might influence torque. So I was just looking for input from those that have 1 of these combinations, or had input. And yes, I am aware of how the search feature works. :rolleyes:

Alan Patterson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I initially upgraded to 3" RT Hi Flow cats and 3" Corsa exhaust on my 06 Coupe. I found that it made great horsepower and torque at high RPM's but cost me on the low end. Late last year I converted back to stock 2 1/4 " exhaust and found the stronger low end and mid range torque to be better suited for autocross. (my class requires that I stay with the stock 3.07 rear-end gears, so driving in 2nd gear requires the highest possible low end torque)... My advice to you is to be sure what your final goal is before investing in exhaust upgrades!

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 2.5 corsa and I really like it ,but after a while is not that loud. Im thinking of deliting the second cat, if anyone has done so let us know what you think.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Deleting 2 SRT10 cats = louder and a bit cooler. But the cut/insert/weld labor cost could end up being about what you would spend on 2 bolt-in hi flow cats! After which you would still have your originals for that fussy resale buyer.

And Alan gives you real-world proof of what Belanger has been saying...for low-end grunt, as needed in drags and autocross on a STOCK motor, 2.5" delivers better torque.

Take it from a guy who measures his times in thousanths of a second most weekends. Thanks Alan!

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Who sells high flow cats that bolt up to the 2.5" Corsa?

Random Technology.... in two substrate options for SRT10s.

So you just remove the 4 OE cats and bolt-up the RT pair in their place. Same coues for stock exhaust fit Gen 3-4 or 2.5" Corsa

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who sells high flow cats that bolt up to the 2.5" Corsa?

I have a set of Roe Racing H/F Cats with the 2.5" end to replace the stock cats. Power on Dyno went from 545 to 563 rwhp with this mod. It greatly improves sound too. Will sell for $400, less than half the current pricing. Have Dyno chart and sound clip too.

Stock cats on top vs Roe HF Cats below
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

purplesnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alan, thanks for exactly the take I was looking for, and thanks to Jon B for the umpteen answeres to the same questions over the last few weeks. To members: If you don't get Jon, you have probably have never owned your own business, and have only collected a check from someone else your whole life. Just my 2 cents.:)

rudedawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just installed Random Tech high flow cats and Borla 2.5 system on my 06. Sounds great and feels like it has new life. I also put in K&N system with it, call and talk to Jon B in person he'll steer you the right way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang