Corsa and RT High Flow Cats - Installed!!! What a GREAT SOUND!!!!

LIONDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just installed Corsa exhaust and RT High Flow cats on my 2002 GTS. I was feeling a bit stupid for spending $2K+ to basically just change the way my car sounds....well, that certainly changed as soon as I started it up for the first time. Wow, was that worth it!

Installation was pretty straight forward. I found it easier just to cut the old exhaust out instead of trying to undo 9+ year old fittings. I did not relish the idea of having someone lift my Viper to have the Cats welded in place, but found a great shop in Westland, MI (Keith's Muffler) that treated my car as carefully as I do. They took a LOT of extra time to make sure the car was lifted correctly. No easy task on a low slung Viper. I think they spent more time getting the car set up for a lift than actually welding. Charged me $60, but I added a nice tip given how much care they took with the whole process. I was more worried about how someone would lift my Viper than I was about the actual welding. But they did a great job with the welding as well - getting out small inspection mirrors to check the weld quality all the way around the pipes.

As to the sound - I know this has been covered at great length, but I will add an opinion I would describe the sound and considerably more aggressive and appropriately louder. It is not so loud as to wake up the neighbors, but certainly a sound more in tune with the whole character of the car. In the cabin, a fair bit louder when using the go pedal, but pretty much no change in sound level during low RPM cruising. And, no drone (been there, done that in other cars). It's not so loud as to get everyone in a three block radius to look at your car, but it will certainly sound nice to bystanders as you drive by.

For me it is the perfect solution. I wanted a definite improvement in the sound, and something a bit louder. But I did not want something that was so loud that it would be annoying to ride in, or wake up the whole neighborhood. I have a Superformance Cobra w/427R Roush that fills that bill (no better sound in the world, and earplug loud). Nothing will ever make a stock tuned Viper V10 sound as good as a well cammed V8 or Harley V2, but the Corsa and RT High Flows are an amazing improvement.

- LIONDOG

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool! I'm waiting to do this as well (a bit cash-poor at the moment and I agree, $2k for this type of thing seems steep! but I understand the need :) ).

The cats should get ya a few HP though, not sure if amounts to much :)

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool! I'm waiting to do this as well (a bit cash-poor at the moment and I agree, $2k for this type of thing seems steep! but I understand the need :) ).

The cats should get ya a few HP though, not sure if amounts to much :)
Take a close look at the Belanger cat back for a louder sound and much cheaper in price than the Corsa. Call Jon for the best price too. I just had them installed and really impressed.

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats. I have the same set up on my '97 b/w. However, on my '02, same set up but added a set of Belanger headers--worth the money and love the sound even more. In any event, you're going to enjoy cruising around a lot more this summer to be sure.

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any of you guys have any issues with emissions? I've yet to go through that here in MD but I have basically thesame setup---- Cold air intake, Belanger Long tubes, RT low restriction cats, amd COrsa exhaust. Car runs GREAT--no codes over two years. Just curious about emissions.

pjr300

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Installation was pretty straight forward. I found it easier just to cut the old exhaust out instead of trying to undo 9+ year old fittings. I did not relish the idea of having someone lift my Viper to have the Cats welded in place, but found a great shop in Westland, MI (Keith's Muffler) that treated my car as carefully as I do. They took a LOT of extra time to make sure the car was lifted correctly. No easy task on a low slung Viper. I think they spent more time getting the car set up for a lift than actually welding. Charged me $60, but I added a nice tip given how much care they took with the whole process. I was more worried about how someone would lift my Viper than I was about the actual welding. But they did a great job with the welding as well - getting out small inspection mirrors to check the weld quality all the way around the pipes....

- LIONDOG

Hey Liondog! I have used Keith's before as well for some custom exhaust work on a previous (non-Viper) vehicle. They went above and beyond what I expected and at a very reasonable price. I had just stopped in to get an estimate, and they took the job in and got it done right then as well! The shop is pretty non-descript (blended into one of those auto strip malls) but they are really top notch.

Very nice people as well; Keith also does a huge charity car show around Labor Day that raises a lot of funds for cancer-related charities. It's grown from a little deal to quite a big event from what I understand.

Congrats on your new ride. Hoepully I'll have one soon as well :)

OP
OP
L

LIONDOG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey pjr,

Had you posted your experience on the internet anywhere? I did a search and read some reviews of guys having custom work done over there. Keith offered to give me an estimate after he got it up - I said by the time you get it in the air the job is half done - just do it. Actually one of his techs did the work on my car and he was fantastic. I was watching their work on another car before they got to mine - I was so impressed with the work they were doing on a high mileage ****** Ranger pickup truck, I just knew they were good. Plus they have a window from the waiting area looking out into the shop - takes some expertise and confidence to feel comfortable letting the customers watch that closely. I have some other minor work I need done on a Land Rover Series - can't wait to get it over to Keith's. he could have really stuck it to me on price, but he did the right thing. I will have to pay attention to the Labor Day show and try to come over with one of my cars.

As to someday getting a Viper....pjr, I am a Ford guy through and through. I've owned a Porsche 911 in the past, currently own a Superformance Cobra, and took a long 6 month look into Lotus Exige's before buying my Viper. I bought it mostly as a car I could drive when the weather is not cooperating for the Cobra. I'm also not particularly a motor head. But pjr, I have never appreciated a car as much as I do the Viper. The Cobra is crazy fun and crazy outrageous, the Porsche was ultra refined, but if I could only own one enthusiast car, it would be the Viper. I am so unbelievably impressed with this car. The styling, the drive-ability, the sound, everything. And, I have never been a particular fan of the Viper - I sort of bought it on a whim. I gave up on a Lotus I was looking at one Saturday, and without ever considering it before, found a Viper online that afternoon. That Monday I made a deal, and on Wednesday drove six hours with a trailer to get it. Did not even test drive it. The car has exceeded expectations in every way. They are a hidden gem that should be priced 50% higher than they are. They are the best of the Porsche and the best of my Cobra all rolled into one amazing package. If you find the right one - Go for it! While I do not by cars as an investment, I think there's even a half decent chance the car will appreciate in the long run, and at worst depreciate very, very slowly in the short term. Particularly the Gen 1s and 2s with their relatively affordable price point and more outrageous quintessential Viper styling.

- LIONDOG