Corsa cat back install

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I am not a guy who has worked on cars in the past (sure I've changed oil, spark plugs, even did my brakes on an old car long ago)...but I would like to learn how to work on my Viper. I have looked at the illustrated install for the Corsa's on this website and, it doesn't SEEM that difficult (maybe it is just because the directions are so well written). I think I am ready to take the plunge and give it a go. Any words of wisdom?...easy? Not easy?

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wrote those instructions and it really is an easy job for anyone that can follow instructions and turn some wrenches. There really isn't that much to go wrong on this install and if you do run into an unexpected snag, there is help here on this board.

--- Ken

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go For It!!
One suggestion - well maybe 2.
1. Take the side sills off and soak all the clamps to be removed with liquid wrench or equivalent, perhaps overnight.
2. When putting the new rear muffler section in place with the exhaust tips through the hole; it is a VERY tight fit (at least it was in my car), take the rear bolts out of the rear body panel and let it drop down to allow more clearance.

Later,

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Piece of cake.....I have done 2. I will post some pics after I upload them.
Here is the text of a post of mine after I did my first install:

Hope I can answer your questions without pictures. Anyway, excluding the Corsa cat-back(which connects to the hi-flow cat via a slip fit and band clamp), there are three pieces involved....The Hi flow-cat (which already has the 3" pipes-one straight, one flared), a 3" to 2.5" reducer, and the stock "elbow" piece. Now, the elbow piece runs from the old converter...turns almost 90 degrees, and after about a foot and a half connects to the stock exhaust header. There is also the "flex" section within the straight shot to the header. If you crawl under the car you can see what I'm talking about. The connection to the header is very easy to remove/replace...they are simply held together with a V-band clamp (no gasket). The shop manual says to replace the V-band clamps each time, but my car only has 5,000 miles and the clamps looked new so I took the chance.... so far no problem. So, I first installed the Corsa system with hanger bolts tightened (to achieve final position) and then cut the stock Cat off the "elbow" and then dry-fitted the pieces together, being very careful to adjust for clearances, final position, etc. I then marked the pipes with a fine point permanent marker as follows: Drew a circle around the "male" pipe at each weld point (two per side) and then drew horizontal lines on both (male & female) pipes to mark the alignment (twist) of the pipes. I did this very slowly and carefully. It was then quite easy to get them welded, I'm sure any competent welder could do this. He used a TIG welder with stainless steel rod...The new cat pipe and the reducer are stainless and the stock pipe is mild steel but they weld together no problem. If you can see the pictures on image station let me know and I will upload some additional shots that might help you. By the way, JonB at Parts rack sold me the parts and knows what he is talking about-I did not need anything extra. The job is much easier than you probably imagine - it was for me and I was a little apprehensive about working on this expensive toy. Keep in mind that even if the pipes don't get welded exactly as you had it set up, still no problem. I do recommend you be there to hold them together for "tacking" so you feel comfortable with the positioning before the final welding (full circle) is done.

PAULIE G

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just did mine last week. I also added the RT cats. I printed out the directions from the fourm, took them in the garage, and it took me a total of about 2 nights (3 1/2 hours per night). I had to get the new cats welded on so it took me longer than normal. The directions are very good and to the point. You'll love the results.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics of the welded in cats using the 2-1/2" to 3" adapter. These are the old style RT's with the heat shields.

1893MVC-001F-med.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreatWhiteKAC