Corsa/Cat install questions

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my Corsa/RT Cats from John B and wondered if anyone had advice on the installation. It looks like I will need to cut off the original cats (hacksaw or Sawzall) to the proper length (judged by holding up cats after Corsa install). Then install cats and 3 to 2.5 adapter and clamp in place. (will need a pair of 3 and 2.5 inch clamps) Then try and get it welded . It seems that welding it at the junction between stock header pipe to 2.5 to 3 adapter would allow easier header installation at a later time. Can it be welded while on the car? Are clamps sufficient without welding?
The Corsa install seems pretty straight forward, just not clear on the cat install.

thanks

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Should I disconnect the pipe distal to the header and bring that down to the shop to make the pipe, adapter and cat all one piece or just weld the adapter to the pipe and use a clamp to connect the cat?

Thanks again.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you cut the cats off, it might be prudent to ask the shop you are bringing it to if they also have flex pipe like OE on the Viper and use that to fabricate a flex pipe/cat section. They can use the OE section as a template. In case you need to go back to stock, it's much easier having that section in one piece.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my system installed with no welding...The 2 1/2 inch adaptor was already attached to the RT cat, and we just clamped
the 2 1/2 inch adaptor to the OE pipe after the cat was cut out...It is a nice tight fit, and given that the OE pipe is inside the adaptor, no leaks....

I can't make any gaurantees, but if you like I could take a measurement from my stock cat forward to let you know where the shop that I used cut the pipe?? Let me know, I could call or e-mail you tonight or tomorrow am???

Tomer
96 RT
Snake Oyl smooooooooth tubes & K&Ns
RT HF cats and 3" Corsa cat back
Integrated garage door opener
Trunk lid strut!

OP
OP
J

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomer,
That measurement would be alot of help it you have it but don't go out of your way.

Tony,
Great observation. Attention to details probably serves you well in your profession.

RichardR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just had mine installed yesterday..... Sounds great! The installer took pictures at various stages during the install which could be posted if you like.....