Corsa Track exhaust. how to keep it from moving?

Michael Hatch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've reset the mufflers 3 times. tightened em down hard in perfect position but they eventually loosen and move to where they're hitting the sill opening.
Is there a way to keep it in place short of welding it?

KEast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read you really need to do a couple of spot welds once they are positioned. You dont need to completely weld them.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Couldn't keep them from moving.

Swithed to another type after several attempts and burning the paint on the side sill openings (2 years ago). Stainless steel expands more than aluminized steel.

Someone should have been successful with these by now.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm.. Mine also rotated downward. I reset them, spot welded them, and they haven't moved since. The stainless steel expansion you have to live with or get something that's not SS.

The track system has the most problems becuase of the big double walled tips and the angle they set at. Some of the other systems out there have simpler tips that come almost straight out so expansion is less of a problem.

The Belanger system is aluminized steel.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine adjusted and spot welded, haven't moved since. If you don't spot them, you can count on them rotating.

Reaction score
Mine haven't moved. Put on by Scott at Warnock dodge in NJ. Whatever he did they are okay, he is a good mechanic never leaves a finger print. He did say that he had to play with them for a while to make them just right.

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was installed by the previous owner and I haven't had any problem(s). However, I've read on this board about the problems others have experienced. As I recall, the best answer was to set the tip as far forward when the exhaust was cold and weld it there. The theory is that the expansion caused by the heat will move the tip back into a centered position.

I'm sure others will have more to say about that approach.

Don

Snk Btn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As I recall, the best answer was to set the tip as far forward when the exhaust was cold and weld it there. The theory is that the expansion caused by the heat will move the tip back into a centered position.

I just had the Corsa system installed by Larry Macedo at Macedo Motorsports this weekend. He installed it like Don said, as far forward as possible and spot welded it in place. After the pipes warmed up, they moved back a bit but were centered when hot.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forward isnt the problem, mine dropped down and touch the bottom of the sill. Had them tacked and one held. Taking it in this week to redo the passenger side.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After doing a Corsa track install, I think part of the problem if not most is the cheap strap they use to clamp the exhaust on. That strap will expand/stretch. What I would do is use a larger strap, but like the thread above says...weld if in a few places.

If you don't want to do that, then I would put a 3 bolt flange on it. It won't move then.

As far as the tips go..some people like to have the tips pertrude a bit. You can cut off the spot welds on the tips and move them out a little and tack weld it where you desire the tips to show. That way you don't have to deal with pushing out the muffler or bend exhaust hangers..which may lead to the sill not fitting correctly back on the car.

Check out my post...I did on the installation on the exhaust with pictures.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AB is right on about the clamps used. I have seen this problem on a lot of systems and have solved it buy using old fashioned muffler clamps which dimple the pipe so it can not rotate. I no longer use band type clamps for this reason. Another place to look is not just at the tip but also where the exhaust, muffler, connects to the cats as it can also rotate there. When this happens the whole system rotates downward. I have seen the 3 bolt type header flanges loosen up under heat and then it will also rotate there. I use Type "C" lock nuts on the bolts that attach the 3 bolt type exhaust flanges together so they will not loosen from the heat cycling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang