Corvette guy visited my garage today

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to sell my 68 Hemi superstock car. My father inlaw told me a friend f his wanted to see it. While he was there looking at the car I said how 'bout I start it for you? After a short crank of the key the open headers exploded with sound (beautiful music!) he ran out side. OK, not the right car for him. So he proceded to ask questions about the Vipers in the garage. I proceded to show him the cars and the diferences between the coupe and the roadster. I asked if he ever tracked his 2002 Z06, he answered with a very firm NO! He also drives it very little. I said that is a shame, like being married to a super model and never "doing her". He pointed out the rubber on the bottom, behind the wheel and said how I should be ashamed of that and I said how I am never ashamed of driving my cars, and that both Viper were at Viper Days at VIR just recently and that My wife and I both drove the cars on the track.

It is a shame how so many people have a performance car or other such toy and never drive them. just to leave them in the garage seems like such a waste. I understand some people want to keep their toys nice but they are cars and are meant to be driven.

Ok I will climb down from my soap box now, and go put my cars away for the winter and not drive them 'till spring.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL Steve, you should have thrown him outta your garage. I think I feel as sick about their garage queens as they do about my high mileage Vipers.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a client that collects old british cars and he's just astonished that I drive my Viper half-time. What's the point?

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YEEEEEEHHHHH, Steve!!!!!!!!!!! Always agree if you don't dive'em what are they??? Planters!!Spitoons? WTG!!! Luv it. HEH Steve stay up on the soap box maybe we'll see more 93 Vipers with over 1000 miles, hahaha.

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waxers. :rolleyes: :curse: But if that's what they like. They are usually good resale deals though. For an extra grand or two you get a near perfect car. :2tu:

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a *****! Who runs out of the garage at the sound of open headers lol? I think theres something wrong if your rear fender wells don't have some burn rubber in there. UNLESS you keep it very clean?

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see both sides. If I had a really rare car, I'd be that way too. But I'm probably more of a "waxer" than a racer, myself. I NEVER intended to track or dyno my car. Some people give me a hard time because I don't take it to the road course, even though "that's what it's made for!" But I do drive mine quite a bit. Stays in the garage at least 4 days a week, and sometimes I feel "guilty" taking it out and putting mileage/wear and tear on it. I guess it's just that I don't ever want it to not be perfect lol

But I'm not as bad as this guy. I've put 13,000 miles on my car in just over a year, had it dyno'd a couple of times, taken it to a road course once, and taken it to a drag strip twice. I won't take it back to a road course again as it beat up the car pretty bad, but at least I gave it a go lol

I probably won't put near the miles on it in the upcoming years. It was the whole "new car" thing...both for me, and EVERYONE wanted to see this new car, since I got one of the first ones on the road. I'll probably only put about 5k a year on mine from here on out.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like any of the corvette guys I know. :confused: I guess there is one or two in every group. :rolleyes:

I hate to say it but I always thought it was the viper guys that did not drive their cars. They all seem to have less than 10,000 miles on them and at every Vette vs Viper track day you are lucky if 1 or 2 vipers show up. No offense, but kinda like the *** calling the kettle black. Not all Vette or Viper guys can be catagorized one way or the other.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like any of the corvette guys I know. :confused: I guess there is one or two in every group. :rolleyes:

I hate to say it but I always thought it was the viper guys that did not drive their cars. They all seem to have less than 10,000 miles on them and at every Vette vs Viper track day you are lucky if 1 or 2 vipers show up. No offense, but kinda like the *** calling the kettle black. Not all Vette or Viper guys can be catagorized one way or the other.

Many of us are former Vette guys, and some have both. Most Vette guys I know do drive thier cars BTW. The guy he was talking about just seemed a bit retentive.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys kill me with the Garage Queen BS. I happen to drive my car often also, with a good amount of track time. BUT,we all wish we were that guy who has an old Hemi Muscle car with 3000 original miles that would auction off at 500K, or the Mustang or the Vette. I've been watching the auctions on the Speed Channel, and I wish I was one of those guys who bought a car in the 60's for 3-4000 and only put 7-8000 miles on it.

Nothing wrong with garaging cars, and nothing wrong with driving them. It's all up to you and your pocket.

AC

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On reason that hardly any Vipers ever show up at events compared to Corvettes is they build 15x's more Corvettes per year. So if 15 Corvettes show up and only 1 Viper...that ratio is about right. I drive the wheels off of my Viper at every track day I can make it to, as do my friends with their Z06's.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of garage queens, etc., my Uncle has a '70 Hemi Challenger with just over 7k miles on it (owned for 20+ years)...needless to say it rarely leaves the garage. On the other hand, he has owned a '95 RT-10 since new and drives the *hit out of it - on the beach, snow, etc. He also has a '33 Plymouth rod (owned for 30+ years) that gets out more than not. As for me, I like change and he is amazed that I've owned 4 Vipers (and many other kinds). I guess the point is do what makes you happy; there will always be someone who thinks you are not doing the right thing.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
and that both Viper were at Viper Days at VIR just
recently and that My wife and I both drove the cars on the
track.

Lets be honest Steve, your wife was driving on the track.
You were out hunting woodchucks...

OP
OP
M

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the track...on the track...or doing doughnuts in the grass next to the track, just a matter of how you look at it. I only got two woodchucks. Everything went better after I aired my tires down from 45+ pounds. I was sliding all over the place.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quote:
After a short crank of the key the open headers exploded with sound (beautiful music!) he ran out side. OK, not the right car for him.

This explains it, typical Vette owner that has no appreciation for high performance cars.