Coupon orders for the Gen V

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering how the Gen V will be allocated. I think it would be great, and help hold the prices down, if coupons were the method as in the past. Comments?

Bill

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
previous number of sales of vipers, then cars n trucks,ect....

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge tried using coupons when the 96 coupe was released.

The demand was so great, Dodge tried to restrict sales to only people that currently owned Vipers purchased from Dodge.

Kind of a loyalty thing.

It bit them in the butt as everybody immediatly tried to game the system. Owners and dealers all manuvered around the intent with all sorts of side deals.

People signed up for vouchers who had no intent to buy the Vipers themselves, then tried to sell the vouchers to take advantage of the huge demand.

Buyers of these 96's were rewarded with not only a fantastically upgraded Viper, but also a car that showed very little depreciation even 10 years later.

Believe there will be a buying frenzy for the first of the gen V's and then over time, as the supply can gain parity with demand, normal pricing will ensue.

Probably happen all over again when a ACR version is released, and also a convertible.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not specifically related, but from what I'm reading on the Allpar forums, the new SRT jeeps are flying off the lot faster than the dealers can obtain them. This is certainly good news for SRT as a brand, and hopefully good news for what's in store for the gen V

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's interesting these days that there are literally dozens of choices for new cars over $100k, yet only a very small percentage of the population can afford that class of vehicles. It looks like car manufacturers have figured something out. I once was a partner in an automotive speed shop, and most of our customers were young guys on a budget for whom every dime counted. I remember talking with the other owner a few times agreeing, "if you want to make money in this world, cater to the rich". True at least when it comes to life's non-essential items (I'm sure Safeway does fine in a recession... boating shops, not so much).

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or maybe the Ultra Rich are cutting back from $150k Cayennes and the like to a $70k Jeep SRT8. They recognize the hit on depreciation on the exotics and are done losing money. Now a less money domestic with some potential collector value looks better to them. I know a few guys who could have anything exotic and do but are selling their collection to have fun with Shelbys, Cameros, etc so they drive them guilt free. Like a racer with a Scuderia in the garage but his fun car is a souped up Miata on the track. Guilt free fun.It is interesting. I would trade my Cayenne Turbo S in on a new Jeep SRT8 even with my horrible experience with my 07 SRT8 Jeep in the past, but it is missing three things: Supercharger, 8 speed tranny and 5 spoke rims.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Smog Dog but Gen V are all sold out!
I bought the last one, it was Snakeskin Green.

Last edited:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is you won't need a coupon or sweat getting one if you want it.

Agreed, in this economy it probably won't be too hard getting one. The Viper brand has a great loyality base but not as many people nearly want them as say the Ferrari market where this tends to happen with their most popular models. Worst case scenerio, is a difficult time in the first year but still shouldn't be too much of a problem.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true for the past models, but I have a feeling the Gen V will have a much broader appeal than any of the other generations.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In response to Viperdrummer

With the way *insert name* is talking I bet you are right. Hopefully *insert name*'s comments aren't indicative of what we will receive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte