Crack in my brake rotor

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found a hairline crack in the drivers rear brake rotor yesterday. It was about 1/4" long and very faint. I didn't think anything of it until today when I looked at it again. Now it's grown to about 3/4" of an inch and a little wider.

Is this something to be concerned with? If I have to change it am I going to need to change both rears? All 4?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
change them all out.... Rotors (expecially stock ones) aren't too expensive.. If you sig is accurate @ 1300 RWHP... I'd say your brakes and you SHOULD be on very friendly terms. They probably overheated and caused the crack OR have been machined 1-2 times before, and are too thin anyway..

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They're actually fairly new. They have less than 10k miles on them. I'll have to go measure the thickness.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly. They're probably 3-4 yrs old. I know, I live in Mi so I only drive 6 months in a year...:dunno:

The reason I asked is, that I've never been an advocate of buying the critical parts, ie those that help you stop, from a vendor like ebay that has 2 selling points they grab you with:

-> Low price.

-> Bling bling bling bling. Look at those slots & holes boys and girls! Are you licking your chops yet???

It's one thing to have to call a tow truck because your ebay pistons melted and your engine has seized, but when your brakes fail there might be additional emergency vehicles involved.

I would personally only buy OE, or the brand name$ that can be found around the forum when it comes to parts that make you go stop.

ebay floor mats... Yes.

ebay brake parts... No.

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that. I've purchased cheap rotors before, just to try 'em out and most of the eBay crap comes from Chinese/Taiwanese foundries and the metallurgy just aint right....whether its the amount oof carbon added to the iron or the subsequent heat treating, they simply ****...warping, cracking and quick-wearing.

Go with brand names, OEMs are pretty inexpensive anyhow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth