Cracked Oil Pan

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of the studs holding the oil baffle on hitting the bottom of the oil pan? I have an 01gts and have a tiny crack in my pan, caused by the two studs actually hitting the oil pan. Any ideas??

I have the fix, just wondered if anyone had ever seen this?

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No pics, but you can clearly see the imprint of each stud on the inside of the pan.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of the studs holding the oil baffle on hitting the bottom of the oil pan? I have an 01gts and have a tiny crack in my pan, caused by the two studs actually hitting the oil pan. Any ideas??

I have the fix, just wondered if anyone had ever seen this?

Very odd.

Pics?

Yes, I can't picture in my head what 2 studs and what oil baffle that you are talking about.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the main bearing cap bolts have 1/4 20 studs on the bottom of them to hold the oil baffle in place. The studs in the rear of the engine touched the inside of my oil pan, not sure why.

challengerta

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No experience with this, but non-standard gasket?
Studs not screwed in all the way?
Or holes not tapped deep enough?

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory gasket that has been on the car since new, studs are part of the main cap bolt, which were torqued to spec at the factory.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be a long shot, but you dont lift the car with a jack under the oil pan do you? How about anyone else? I watched as a hack Dodge mechanic at my local dealership just about destroy my side sills with their lift as he didn't place the risers in the proper spot while lifting the car. I ran in just as he scratched part of the sidesill and told him to stop, it was for a warranty shock repair. It was the first and last time any dealer ever touched my car. Anything is possible if the car has been out of your hands.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May be a long shot, but you dont lift the car with a jack under the oil pan do you? How about anyone else? I watched as a hack Dodge mechanic at my local dealership just about destroy my side sills with their lift as he didn't place the risers in the proper spot while lifting the car. I ran in just as he scratched part of the sidesill and told him to stop, it was for a warranty shock repair. It was the first and last time any dealer ever touched my car. Anything is possible if the car has been out of your hands.

Never happened on my car, only lifted from the frame.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked at my own pics of my pan when I had it off, it's been awhile, very strange issue. Did you clearance the studs to prevent further damage? I have a spare factory oil pan gasket, I could mic it and tell you the thickness. You never know, maybe some gaskets came from a different vendor and didn't meet spec. same goes with the rear bolts.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just measured the thickness of the aluminum gasket (0.1550). Obviously not including the inset o-ring on either side of the gasket.

OP
OP
M

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took about an 1/8 inch off the studs, problem solved.