creaking popping sound from rear of car?

rx7master

Viper Owner
Reaction score
when im stopped at a light or stopsign and begin to turn into an intersection there will be a strange creaking/popping (like a rapid clunk,clunk,clunk, clunk) sound as i let out the clutch, it only does this when the wheels are turned in either direction and the further the wheel is turned the more severe the sound is. when it is on an incline it does it worse also. along with the sound there is a bit of vibration. it stops completely when the clutch petal is all the way out or if the wheels are staight. did a search with no matches. so i guess its not too common of a problem. im wondering if it could be something with the 998 reacall not being done yet. i have a 1998 gts.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic from the SoCal VCA had something like this. I think it turned out to be a loose knuckle or something like that in the suspension.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a sort of crunching noise when I was turning from a dead stop. Changed my differential oil and it went away. I had about 20,000 miles on the fluid.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If changing the diff oil doesnt get it, jack the car up and retorque every bolt you can get to in the backend. My car used to make a loud bang noise sometimes (but rarely) when 1st taking off from a stop. While the car was jacked up one time, I had the tech retighten all my bolts and he said one on the driver side (some suspension bolt) was definitly loose. Havent heard the noise sense and this was a good few months ago when he tightened them.