Creampuff Upgrade Parts

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After searching and digesting as many past posts as possible, I'm considering upgrading the pistons, rods and maincaps in my FE. I do all of my own mechanical work and have a good local machine shop that can handle all of the boring and align boring for a v-10.

Now the six million dollar questions:

(This is assuming future super or turbo charging possibilty) 700 to 800 HP MAX

- It appears "CP" pistons are the most popular choice. On a 7K mile motor, is .030 over usually the preferred overbore or is less needed because the cast pistons are a tighter tolerance. I've been to CP's site, but didn't see a part # for Vipers. What other piston choices?

- What rods are preferred. I see Oliver rods are used alot. Are they overkill and is billet or forged recommended? What other manufacturers make rods for Vipers?

- Who makes billet main caps???

Thanks in advance for any suggestions !

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 800 Max, you could use Eagle rods, but even stock rods should ba able to handle that kind of power.
The bore choice is up to you, so if you want, you could go .020 if desired.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
or sell and buy a 96-99... would be cheaper unless you really like the FE...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oliver rods over eagle cause ya just dont know down the road what you're gonna do.....

CP is the best piston. you might not need to bore the engine. i needed to hone .005 cause my bores were not kosher. only do it if ya need it. cause down the road you might actually have a problem and need that extra meat in the cylinders....or so im told.

OP
OP
R

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would probably order .005 over pistons if available. I'd hate to buy stock bore CP pistons and find a cylinder or two that were on the high side even though the motor only has 7K miles. Where do guys find billet main caps?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As it was said earlier, only go over as far as you need to if you arent looking for more Ci- you may just need it some day.

If the donor engine is fine, you will almost surely be OK with a .005 over piston.

Yes, CP is the best, however you will need to design your own pistons with them- you are better off going to someone who uses CP already and getting them through them. There will be a premium charge, but you know they were done right. There are a million different ways to built them, and almost as many ways to do it wrong, or go make poor decisions.

We have billet main caps, as well as CP, its all we use.

Make sure you use ARP Main/Head studs on the rebuild and during machining.

We generally go with Carrillo Rods on our builds (its out Go big or Go home mentality here), but if you think Oliver is overkill, these are even more overkill. Oliver is a VERY nice rod as well.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can measure the cylinder bores and have CP pistons made to make sure they fit. That is why they aren't listed is my guess. I had my pistons made with lowered ring lands to strengthen the head of the pistons for boost. I had Oliver rods made to make sure the stroke geometry was not changed. If you get your rods made you can use a gen 3 crank and get some cu. inches and horsepower right away. (488 to 511) Like the previous posters mentioned, it makes a difference if you plan on going to a S/C or turbo?
To best of my memory,
Oliver rods...$2400.00
CP pistons and rings...$1400

Get your crank cut for keyways and tapped for a heavier pulley/dampner bolt

Next would be the cam and heads... There are all kinds of options, all of which depend on what you are going to do.

Billet mains and studs for sure.

OP
OP
R

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Final GTS!!! That's what I'm really looking for. A single source that supplys most of what I need. I'm a little confused, are you in NY or Canada? And what's the best way to reach you.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Final GTS!!! That's what I'm really looking for. A single source that supplys most of what I need. I'm a little confused, are you in NY or Canada? And what's the best way to reach you.

www.ViperSpecialtyPerformance.com (Sorry about that, new VCA Sponsorship Packages just released, will be active in my sig in a day or two)

I am actually in NY state, but where we are (Buffalo) is a stones throw from Canada, and actually quite far from the NY club, so we here are primarily Ontario members. Although, I am also the activities director of WNY, and we still do quite a bit locally and with PA and OH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
www.ViperSpecialtyPerformance.com (Sory about that, new VCA Sponsorship Packages just released, will be active in my sig in a day or two)

I am actually in NY state, but where we are (Buffalo) is a stones throw from Canada, and actually quite far from the NY club, so we here are primarily Ontario members. Although, I am also the activities director of WNY, and we still do quite a bit locally and with PA and OH.

I know exactly where your at. I'm originally from the Binghamton, NY area. Couldn't take the snow anymore, had to move South. I'll give you a call Friday.

Thanks
Dwight

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know exactly where your at. I'm originally from the Binghamton, NY area. Couldn't take the snow anymore, had to move South. I'll give you a call Friday.

Thanks
Dwight

Haha, good move! I feel your pain... cant wait to have an alternate location somewhere WARM.

looking forward to speaking to you, I am easiest to contact in the afternoons and evenings. (dont hesitate to call at night either, always working overtime)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo