Credit where due: '98 SVS Twin Turbo

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit where due: \'98 SVS Twin Turbo

Its been a year with the car after the install of the SVS Twin Turbo System, Fuel System and AEM ECM.

Reader's digest version is that I am extremely happy with the car.

Despite a few issues, most of which were unrelated to SVS's install/tuning/fabrication (i.e. bad AEM box, fuel pump problem, wastegate issue, etc.), the car is performin to expections and is a pleasure to drive. I waited to post for a year because, my relationship with SVS was a new one and I didn't want to be one of the guys that jumps on the board, excited after taking delivery the car, singing the tuner's praises, only to have a catastrophic failure with the tuner runing for cover. After building a number of fairly high hp fi cars, I've been thru a lot and tend to take things slow. SVS was pretty responsive at every juncture(pump and wastegate spring issues)..even when I didn't contact them (I don't like to bug my tuner if I can figure it out myself)...i.e. when my AEM took a dump. I appreciate that Jr. pm'd me to see what was wrong. I was determined to do my own trouble shooting so i didn't bug them for help.
During the build, there were a number of miscommunications...I'll share in the blame, a number of missed deadlines (for one reason or another) and budget/cost overages (hell when doesn't that happen). In fact I consulted a number of tuners to "understand" some of the issues. Thanks to all, you know who you are. In the end we worked thru them all and well the car is as enjoyable to drive and every bit as fast as my TT big bore C5 A4 Z06 and that car has EVERYTHING (aftermarket heads, custom cam, custom block, modded automatic, **** injection, etc.). While I haven't taken the GTS to the track, I am confident that it will do low 140's in the 1/4 as it sits (with Nitto DR's), just as my Vette has done. This year I plan on taking the Vette to a "local" (100 miles away) track rental to air it out. Next year, its the GTS's turn.

I really want to give kudos to their head tech who took a lot of time explaining things to me and helping me understand how things worked. My good is he a perfectionist. You should see the plastic radiator shroud covering that is clearanced for my Blowoff Valve. A very subtle touch that all but the truly observant would miss. Their tuner should also get a pat on the back as well. The AEM certified tuner (local to me) Devin Pierce has repeatedly complimented on their knowledge of Viper FI and tuning.
Now I am not playing with the "Big" Dogs as my car "only" makes 800rwhp at 8-9psi (not bad for dinky side mounts), but I will say that it is a good all around package that, should I decide to turn up the wick, I am sure that 1000rwhp wouldn't be out of the question. I will probably play with it a bit more after I add my alchycontrol **** injection kit. Right now 800 is plenty for the street driving I do. I recently took the car to the Woodward dream cruise and the car never overheated after roughly 1.5hrs of stop and stop traffic. Highest temp was 210 degrees.

As I told Jr. many times, performance cures all!!!! Thanks.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Credit where due: \'98 SVS Twin Turbo

Sounds good! Makes us all want one..

I'll have to keep an eye for your car on MI streets :)

Which local track are you referring to? In MI?

OP
OP
E

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Local Track - Lapeer...with no track prep and a questionable surface, I'm not sure if I want to take it there.

RE: track rental will at be Norwalk awesome prep and surface (next year I'll take the GTS)

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always good to hear results like yours! Most would agree that SVS has strong reputation and that is what you would expect from them!
:2tu: to SVS, not let your wife drive the Z, you drive the TT Viper, and line them up!! :D

QUICKV10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've never delt with svs, but I've been reading many things about tuners in the last three years to say that they seem to know exactly what there doing. Thats great news considering there only a 2hour drive for me, if I ever wan't to step it up anotch, Thanks for the review Earl

SVS Turbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm very happy you're enjoying your ride Earl :2tu:

Down the road if you want to change to the .82 A/R on the exhaust let me know and I'll hook you up!

I always wondered why you didn't post anything about the car or your experience. Your method of waiting a year to allow the dust to settle is highly respectable by me.

:cool:

Thanks

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There are positive examples of their work and, needless to say, not-so-positive examples. Anyone considering having modest work done should look me up - I can provide you photos of and invoices for SVS work that may be helpful in forming your opinion.