cruise control Install

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound like a **** or anything, but, anyone put a cruise control in their Viper? I'm talking like the one that Jon B sells or Snake Oyl Prods.

I am actually looking to take a look at the installation instructions to see how much of a pain it is to do. I have heard that can be quite a pain.

I have gunboats for feet, and the opportunity to take a break on a longer drive would be nice.

thanks

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'd like a cruise control too. Let me know if you have one installed. I'd like your impression. I, too am larger than average and driving to Buttonwillow, Phoenix, Vegas, Willow Springs, Ely, etc. would be much easier on the right leg with a cruise.

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Having owned a 427 Cobra with no radio, AC, electric windows (had plexiglass sliders), let alone cruise control, I think the Viper is relatively sophisticated by comparison. I bought my SRT-10 in Denver on Ebay, flew in, signed the papers, and hit the road to California via New Mexico. The first thing I did after hitting the highway was start fumbling for a cruise control button. On a 1200 mile drive, it would have been a pleasure. If there is a decent aftermarket unit available, I'd put it in.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve --

There is nothing wrong with a cruise control for certain situations. I had the Snake Oyl unit installed in my GTS and it works great. It was a somewhat complicated install, but Cory was helpful over the phone. The unit looks essentially like a factory unit and I haven't had any problems. I know of two SRT-10 installs in our area and they are both happy with the Snake Oyl unit.

I obviously only use the unit on long trips. It minimizes the leg cramps for us longer-legged guys and also tends to help with the speeding tickets.

Don't let the macho talkers get you down. I own a Viper because I like it's basic driving style and I'm ready to rumble any time, but the cruise fits my needs on a long trip. :cool:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As Hisser said, a cruise control is a welcome addition on long drives and was one of the first items I added to my GTS.

Bought the SnakeOyl, and while a bit expensive and directions challenged, Cory was helpful and it has been reliable over the years. Has the added benifit of helping you maintain your desired MPH.

Be secure in your manhood and go for it.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As Hisser said, a cruise control is a welcome addition on long drives and was one of the first items I added to my GTS.

Bought the SnakeOyl, and while a bit expensive and directions challenged, Cory was helpful and it has been reliable over the years. Has the added benifit of helping you maintain your desired MPH.

Be secure in your manhood and go for it.
Exactly. I've driven CA to TX/OK three times in Vipers, and can attest that 27 hours of driving in two days each way is indeed somewhat tedious, which a speed control would alleviate somewhat. So, I installed the Snake-Oyl unit prior to the the last trip (to VOI8).

I always get factory service manuals for any car I own, and that filled in the blanks left by the installation instructions - I didn't need to call them after I spent some time studying what I thought they were trying to do. But yes, the installation instructions are missing some level of needed detail.

Only problem I had during the VOI trip was the battery seating on the transmitter - I had to pull the battery out and put it back in to get it to work at least three times.

And now, more than six months since I last used it, I just recently noticed that can't get it to work at all. I've already checked the fuses and replaced the transmitter battery, so I guess I'm going to have to check the two connectors and my soldering/insulation job when I have the time.

Does anyone know how to test whether the transmitter is actually transmitting? Guess I could try to find someone with a radio spectrum analyzer...

HowardBJr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the Snake-Oyl unit on my 2003 SRT-10 and find it very useful for long trips. The only issue I have with the unit is that there is no kill switch on the clutch so you must tap the brake to release it.

Howard

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's a built in way to check your rev-limiter!
Actually, it detects a sudden rpm increase and kills it - way before you hit rev-limiter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajya