Cruise Night - Sept 9 - Morris, IL

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just posting to see how much interest there would be in getting a bunch of Vipers together for the Morris, IL Cruise Nights.

Once a month, the town of Morris, IL shuts down their streets to hold a "cruise night" - drive in, park, and then walk up and down the streets to view the cars. They hold this once a month, and the last show of the summer is coming up on Sept. 9th. This past saturday, they had somewhere near 700 cars at the event. The july show had 640 cars.

Unfortunately, the july show only had ONE red Gen I Viper show up. The Aug show this past saturday only had three Vipers show up ( two Red Gen I vipers, and then my dad & I showed up in his yellow '01 RT ). This may be an effort to out number the corvette club, which had a few show up.

If there is enough interest in this, I can set up a "rally point" or meeting point just off the highway ( Hwy 80 & Hwy 47 ) and then all cruise into the show together to make sure all the Vipers are grouped together. This may all go together in conjunction with the "RumbleBee.org" group, as they are having a street reserved for the group.

If you want more information, view here: http://www.morriscruisenight.com/

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested in coming down but need to know where Morris is. I could bring a few other Vipers as well, a 97 b/w GTS, a 98 GTS and a 03 SRT as well as a few other cars. Let me know because a lot of it will depend on how far away Morris is.

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IEATVETTES - You would come down I-90, and in Rockford split off 90 to 39/51. You take that south to I-80, then take 80 across to 47.

I could meet you in Rockford and lead from there. From the madison area, it would probably a little under 3 hours give or take. I live right on the state line ( near rockford ) and it takes a little under 2 hrs.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt know morris was off of RT47. Im in algonquin off of randall rd and algonquin. Probably a 40 minute drive for me.

08ACRVTEN00GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Troy,
I should be able to round up about 5 Vipers from Rockford, we are all going to Crystal Lake Mopar Cruise night this Thursday August 17th, this is the last show this year and they also close the town down. Let me know if you are interested.

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too funny, I grew up in Morris and my parents still live there. Never thought I would see a town of 11,000 appear on this site. I may have to drive up with my GTS for a visit.

How many are thinking of being there?

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the last one of the year, so I would expect it to be BUSY. They start taking registration at 4pm. but start lining up well before that. We could all meet before then, then drive in a "parade" to register, and then line em' up in a group.

Since I am local, I could coordinate this if no one else cares? Just send me an e-mail to let me know if you are going to attend, need directions, anything.

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got some tenative times & meeting location setup.

First off, the meeting location is the Wendy's on Hwy 47, just off Hwy 80 ( see map: http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/5656ViperGTG-med.jpg ). It's a flat parking lot - and has plenty of space BEHIND the Wendy's building.

We'll be meeting there at 3:00pm on Sat Sept. 9, meeting up with the Rumble Bee group ( about 8 trucks or so ). The show is just a short drive from there, so we'll all follow each other into the show to be sure the whole group can park together.

I'm also going to setup a meeting place just off of I-90 in either Roscoe or Rockford for all of the Wisconsin & Rockford area Vipers to meet up at 1:00pm sharp so we can leave there at 1:00. That location will be TBA. ( I'm thinking either Loves Travel stop in Roscoe - or Farm & Fleet's parking lot off Riverside. Looking for comments on which would be prefered.... )

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke to my father and he said there were over 700 entries for last month. They broke a record. There should be a lot of cool cars there. I have commitments until about 4:30 (3:30 Illinois time) that day but could head up after that. I would be there around 7 or so. Please post what area you plan to be at so I can hook up with you.

Kurt :nana:

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperbass - Unfortunately we won't know what "area" we will be in until we get there. It's pretty easy to find cars there, and with the timeframe we're looking at we'll definately have a good spot.

Although, I would imagine 15+ Vipers parked together would be pretty hard to miss. ;)

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Troy,

I think they are usually parked down Liberty Street which is the main "drag" so to speak. There are several parks just off Liberty where some may be parked too. As soon as I can get confirmation that I will be free that evening I will post. If I can come, please save me a spot! :2tu:

Kurt

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperbass - They park up and down the main drag there, the side streets that intersect with that street. This last show they even started using some of the business parking lots, and a grass area at the end of the street.

I have been e-mailing one of the folks that runs the show, but the way she made it sound - we won't be able to "hold" spots for very long :( - which is why we're all coming in as a group. However, some people do leave early, and from what I have seen at the two cruise nights I have been to - they put the "late comers" into the spots that people leave from.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperbass

Where are you from in Indy? I live near Greenwood. I might head that way with you if you want. That would make at least 2 Vipers from Indy.

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperbass

Where are you from in Indy? I live near Greenwood. I might head that way with you if you want. That would make at least 2 Vipers from Indy.

If you guys make want to make it, I know of a good route to get to Morris versus I-65. I have a friend in Lafayette that I see every now and then, and have a much quicker route than dealing with the construction that is going on at I-65/I-80. It will actually put you right on Rt. 47 and bring you into Morris.

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Angleiron

Thanks for the offer. I'll take the directions for myself. I live right off of 65 and I'm just south of Indpls so just give me directions from there. How long do you think it will take to get there? I need to know just in case I need to get a room somewhere rather than drive back that late. I'll see if my best friend wants to go also. He has a tricked out Acura NSX and a ZR1. Nice to see we have someone actually from Morris. What's this Cruise in actually like?

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I didnt know morris was off of RT47. Im in algonquin off of randall rd and algonquin. Probably a 40 minute drive for me.

It would be quite a bit longer than 40mins.....probably closer to an hour and a half. I grew up about 30 minutes from Morris, right off rt.47 in Yorkville.

angleiron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It would be quite a bit longer than 40mins.....probably closer to an hour and a half. I grew up about 30 minutes from Morris, right off rt.47 in Yorkville.

I THINK you can take I-94 to Rt.47 and exit, and then it is probably about 50 minutes or so.

Viperbass

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Viperrt96,

I am actually living in Brownsburg now, but will try and head north after my show that day. There are several ways to go to Morris. I actually usually head west at the Remington exit off 65 and snake back roads to 55 and then to 47. Not sure if I will head that way this time or not. I do recommend avoiding coming in from 80/94 as the last time I was up there it was torn up with construction. I hope I can manage the time as I have not seen my parents in a while and I know my dad would get a kick out of it. Even if I don't end up going, I am sure my dad will be there.

Kurt

banton

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I THINK you can take I-94 to Rt.47 and exit, and then it is probably about 50 minutes or so.

Yes, you can go that route, but it will be ~45-50 minutes to Yorkville once on Rt. 47, then another 20-30 minutes to Morris. Trust me, I made the trip many, many times while living in Cary (right next to Algonquin) and later in Spring Grove. Rt. 47 is PITA as it is a simple two lane without many opportunities to pass slower traffic. If people can get there faster, great, but I am just trying to give realistic information based on my experience.

OP
OP
T

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latest news: They will be setting aside a number of spots for us on "main street." From what I am being told, we'll have the whole side street between the Viper group and the Rumble Bee group ( an all Dodge St.! ).