Custom interior and audio build thread! 1998 GTS

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well huge update here the car is finally going back together. Seats, rear console, steering console, steering wheel, and center console are all back in the car. They got a coat of fiber glass done in the trunk. Also electrics are hooked back up so you can see some of the blue lighting. The amp rack being covered in stages with the speaker grill mess done on one side. They are actually coming in on a saturday to work on it. Hopefully the rest of the fiber glass will be done, and the door panels will be underway tomorrow. (Note the air bag cover is being turned into a glove box, and will be wrapped to match the dash)
You must be registered for see images attach

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that Carbon around the steering neck looks great, the car is really looking fabulous, I bet you can't wait to drive it again :)

Looking forward to seeing a completed door with the carbon A pillar :)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome build! I only have a couple comments. I love the sub enclosure. Wish they had shallow subs when I did my car. lol

Not sure what purpose those 6.5" speakers are for on the rear shelf are those more for people out side of the car? For rear imaging you're better off with tweeters that fire forward.

Secondly, you will need to be concerned with heat soak from the sun on those amps. I put my amps there a few years ago and decide to move them. After a few hours in the sun they wouldn't turn on.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome build! I only have a couple comments. I love the sub enclosure. Wish they had shallow subs when I did my car. lol

Not sure what purpose those 6.5" speakers are for on the rear shelf are those more for people out side of the car? For rear imaging you're better off with tweeters that fire forward.

Secondly, you will need to be concerned with heat soak from the sun on those amps. I put my amps there a few years ago and decide to move them. After a few hours in the sun they wouldn't turn on.

Actually we placed them there for the acoustics. The sound firing into the hatch refocuses the sound back into the cab. We have done this in other cars and the clarity and sharpness is amazing. As far as the amps go they wont overheat, The window tint will keep the direct uv light off so they will be fine. Plus the new RF amps are excellent at heat dissipation, and won't ever have to run over much over 60 percent power. If you have any other questions just let me know!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's good. I don't have tinting so it would make a big difference in heat soak. I had JL Amps but they still got too hot baking in the sun without tint.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow!!!

Is that a Momo steering wheel? I've been wanting to swap mine out!! I still have the stock '95 wheel....

Do you remember what model/type wheel that is?

ty,

steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is a momo nero wheel, there should be a picture of it on page 2 of this thread.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So the amp rack is done, and they are currently rapping the sub box. They started all the fiber glass on the door and have started making the new grab handles. You can also see the new speaker grill covers being built, and the new components ready for install.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So electronic door opening to replace the OEM handles? Is that the OEM black carpet at the lower part of the door? Do you intend to change that or is it in good condition? Are you still keeping the emergency door release in the A pillar? How would that work with electronic door opening?

What's the pic with the huge part featuring the red Vacuum cleaner Is that part of the trunk lining? Is it upside down? I can't figure out where that part fits!

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok the doors are being modified to use a push button release. You have to remember that the stock door handles are just large switches. It will be installed in the handles as you can see above. Keep in mind though all you can see is the base structure, the handle will look very different when the foamed and wrapped. Then we filled in the pull handle part of the door as you can see from the pictures. The carpet will be replaced and they have to modify the stock speaker location to house the larger component speakers. It will look close to the amp rack cover. The emergency release handles will still work as normal. Yes that is the new trunk lining and it is upside down. They were putting the last coat of fiber glass on it when I was there. So I would think the box and the trunk should be wrapped today, and the door panels I would think should start being wrapped by the time I get off work. Good news is the car will be at the show by friday, so the wait is almost over.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had to go by at lunch time to drop off a camera, any ways here is Ross wrapping the sub box.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sub box is in, and the side compartment is wrapped for storage. You can see the rear cover being cut for the access doors to get to storage and 2nd battery and wiring.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, this thread is driving me crazy. I love what you're doing. Did I mention...I hate you! :D

I hope this just helps advance the platform! It is becoming the ultimate dream car for me, and thanks for the kind words I appreciate it.

V

Viper4Life

I love this thread. great info. nice clean install....the only eh is those overhead switches.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love this thread. great info. nice clean install....the only eh is those overhead switches.

I'm going to see if I can improve it. I just want to get the car done first, then I'll go back and make changes. I'm having Viper withdrawals!

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went and pick up the center console trim from the bodyshop, and they are currently wrapping the remaining items in the trunk, its amazing how smooth it came out.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, So tonight has been very long and we are not finished yet, BUT we are extremely close. This shows the progression of the trunk and we finally finished it tonight. Got the car started, installed HID's, Skip shift eliminator, new reverse switch, and basically just have to finish the doors and fix a couple small things in the morning. Nice thing is the car will be cosmetically done for the show tomorrow. As you can see the storage compartments on both side to put cleaning supplies and gear, with built in lighting. CAn't wait to show you the finished product.
You must be registered for see images

HPmopars

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been following your build the whole time. Look'n Good! I hope sometime I get a chance to check it out in person, since I live just North of you a couple hours or so.

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well tomorrow the car will be done. It is at the show and we are doing finally assembly there. Here is the door panels, from fiber glass to padding, and covers. By tomorrow night you will see a completed interior, and full exterior shots!!

OP
OP
K

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well the car cosmetically is done. Just have a couple of things that need to be fixed, but here is the completed door panels and pics of my son and I at the show.