Custom RT/10 pics! **LARGE**

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you do when no manufacturer makes a 1/18th scale version of you car? Make it yourself!

This is my 96 RT/10 conversion project. This is the early body stage..still have a long way to go. Paint is on and stipes are on. minor touch up is needed and the clear over all painted parts. Still working on the interior. Made a double bubble hard top and softtop for the car as well, may make some vmania side windows!

So, whaddya guys think of it so far?

You must be registered for see images

MadMaxx

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. You have too much time on your hands
smile.gif

2. You have some really nice furniture.
3. The model looks cool. Did you buy a different kit and just repaint or *cringe* fab it yourself?

Who makes the origianl?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx

How in teh world did you fab that???I have some self interest here...

Tomer
96 RT WHite with BLue stripes...

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're going to entertain us all in your living room, you had better put out a better spread than just a few almonds (I love almonds). Look what Chuck Tator did!
smile.gif

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is made from two 1/18th scale diecast models. Both are Bburango models... which kinda ****. The models had overspray from the factory, wrong items, inperfections, etc. etc.

The RT shell was a 95 yellow sidepipe car. It was horrible.. over spray everywhere, wrong yellow, faded.. etc. etc. I stiped the body down, and chemicly striped the paint. It's got a white primer coat and 2 coats "classic" white. Will follow up with 2 coats clear and polish when I get it all looking right and fitted correctly.

The wheels, roof (hard top), suspension and exhaust are from the 98 GTS (a 96 with 98 paint basicly.. cheap makers!). Removed the GTS roof and stiped it for the new hard top. The wheels were sprayed white and the suspension was also used (sits a bit lower). Took 1/8th inch off of each A arm to make the car a tad lower too.

The RT's chassis had to be used because the side pipes are molded to the chassis not the body (metal). To get rid of the side exit, I ground off the exit corners, and filled in the "ridges" of the pipe w/ putty to make them smooth like side exit cars. Looks factory! It's in primer now.

Interior gets a repaint w/ graphite metallic.

For the soft top, I used a piece of 18g steel, and concaved it slightly to give it a bit of a bow. primed it and covered it with a thin piece of vinyl I had (don't know where it came from but it worked). Looks very cool!

Wheels got painted white, and they are now the correct wheels for a 96 RT.

I'll cut the side windows out of the old rear hatch of the GTS with my dremel and paint on the sliders to emulate my Vmania windows.

Would you believe I made part of those chairs too?
smile.gif
Recovered them and welded some new pieces in.

One of my easier projects. Used to make convertables and stuff 1/18th scale... no easy task!

And yes, I do have Waaaaaayyyy too much time on my hands LOL

James

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and the stipes are cut from RC style race stripes. These are thin vinyl pieces that are fuel resistand and GREAT to use for pin striping! The roll I have will last me though many cars. It has several widths pre-cut too.

James

tmcalist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finished my model last week. To keep people from touching it I put it in some packaging. I know it is hard to believe but it did not take me too long to finish it.

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and if anyone else w/ a blue/white RT wants one i'll make them one for the cost of the two models it takes
smile.gif

I usualy pick up the coupes when SAMS gets them by the truck load at 9.95 a pop. I have about 50 diecasts of all types at any given time. I've made some color change models too.. I can do just about anything if given the right materials and music
wink.gif

Next project is the Red Oreca team viper (still working on the center louver problem) using a GT-2 coupe model (can't find cheap GTSR models). I don't want to use an auto art model because they are just tooooo nice to hack up!

MadMaxx

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx,
I would love a model of my GTS with the Hennessey wing and Autoform splitter. Have you ever tried something like that? Actually I could probably do it myself if I knew what type of material to use. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Bob K

OP
OP
M

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wing wouldn't be too difficult. I'd have to see good photos of it. A supra mode's wing may be close to it, or one can be fabed up. As for the spliter, that would be a piece of plastic and some putty work to get it to look right. Some hobby abs would work fine. Front end would have to be striped and the new pieces sculpted in to make it look right.

James

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather