Cutting Stock Springs To Lower?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Flame suit on ...... I know this is a ricer technique to lower a car - but since I have been unable to find a set of discontinued Eibachs to lower my Gen 1, I am looking for CONSTRUCTIVE information and feedback on cutting my stock springs to achieve a 1" drop.

I would adjust the stock shocks while off and get a 4 wheel alignment afterwards.

Lowering caps might be an option - but not sure if it's worth it for a 1/2" drop. Also, it looks like Intrax makes springs for the Viper - but to this point - no one has any positive feedback on them.

Thanks.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you should go with the caps and keep your eyes open for a set of springs. Some will show up. Its a lot of time and cost to get the proper alignment after changing the ride height and you won't be happy with the results by cutting the springs. If you do decide to cut the springs, I suspect you will end up with a lot of clunking and the springs rattling. I think the Eibachs only lower the car about 5/8" in front anyway. JMHO

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say go for it, you have exhausted all your means to find lowering springs, But I would at least get another set of used stock springs, just in case of a ooops. I dont think it's ricer ish, Due to the fact that all the ricers cut there springs because they cant afford lowering springs, But in your case. You are more than willing to buy the springs but unfortunately they are no longer available. So I say go ahead and cut. .02

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
springs are cheap Eibach, H & R, amongst others. i would not cut the springs on a car like the viper you do have other options. Call JonB @ PartsRack or www.partsrack.com he'll hook you up with what you need at a great price

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're just posing and not worried about spring rates or setting decent track times and will tell the next buyer what you did then go for it, it's your car. But at least use a cutter and not a torch.

Get a wing too. I'll sell mine, cheap.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have extra, old Gen 1 springs I'll give you (for shipping cost) to try. The springs are sort of unique in that one end is wound flat (under the hat) but the other end is not. The end that is not sits on the lip attached to the bottom of the shock body.

The odd thing is that the coil spring itself has less of an angle at the bottom, so when you cut this end off it means rather than contact between the spring and the shock of about a half of a coil, the support is only the point contact end of the spring.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be concerned that cutting the springs would change the spring rates - I am assuming it will make the springs stiffer, but I don't know how much, nor whether the proportion of change front and rear could be the same or different - not sure what that would do to handling blance.

So it sounds like a rather un-engineering approach too me, but what the heck, get a set of spare srings and try it out. If the car handles and rides OK, then it worked.

Jim

Turbo50Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done this on other cars, and it's not that big of a deal.

My advice is to cut VERY small pieces off until you get the height you want (about 1/4 rung at a time). Because if you measure 1" up from the end of the spring and cut there, the car will sit about 1 3/4" lower since you just changed the total capacity of the spring as well as the length.

And yes, use a cutoff wheel as opposed to a torch as stated above.

Josh M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you tried posting a want ad? I posted up a want ad for something I didn't see at all for sale and within a day I had about 6 ***. I would not suggest cutting springs, and would continue to search. Especially since lowering springs aren't that expensive. However, like people have said, it is your car.