Damage to sports bar from soft top?

GTS21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently drove my 2002 RT/10 in the pouring rain with the soft top on (had no choice, needed to get check engine light diagnosed). The top was on for a total of two days after the drive. This is the first time I've used the soft top. After removing the soft top, I noticed that the edges of the sports bar looked a little different. The material on the sports bar that had been in direct contact with the rubber from the soft top looks a little mushed down, it doesn't have the same leather-like pattern, it's smoothed out. Has anyone else noticed this? I imagine this will keep happening with soft top use, so replacing the sports bar would be futile. Thanks, Eric

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric:
I believe that such "wear" is virtually unavoidable. You can try small pads (like from a bicycle helmet) but ultimately if you use the soft top often...you'll get some marking. Hey...use and enjoy the car :)

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car had the soft top on it when I bought it. When I took it off the soft part of the sports bar had the indentations you are referring to. Have not put the top back on since, and have had in the sun many times and all traces are now gone. It bounced back just fine.