damaged hood

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a gen 2 hood.It was damaged and repaired by a body shop. Hood is in primer.I have no idea how much damage was done before repair.Nor do I know how honest they will be about how bad the damage was.
My question is. What should i look for while looking at it? and what is your guys opinions on buying a hood that was repaired.
I am getting it for a great price otherwise I would probably pass on it...

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Is the underside in primer also?? A th rough and through crack is the worst (through both layers) because you cant get to both sides of the glass to repair it. There should be some insurance photos or pic taken sometime, I would ask to see them... If the repair wasn't preformed correctly it won't show for a couple months after being painted, as it totally cures it shrinks

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if they did not use SMC repair, you wont know it unitl about two weeks after driving it and the heat of the motor lifts and bubbles the fiberglass. Find out who did the repair and ask them what they used.

OP
OP
K

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for the info.I sent an email asking for pics and how the repair was performed.
Dave I cant take my car there to test fit.I have no interior or shifter at this time.
Steve (autoform) thanks for the pm I will call tomorrow

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I don't think I would do it. You are still going to have to spend $$ to get the thing shipped and then properly painted. I agree with the posts above, I think this is something that won't show itself for a couple of months of driving. It's amazing enough that an undamaged hood doesn't crack. I just can't see one that has been repaired lasting very long... Again, just my opinion, but you are dealing with a BIG piece of plastic. Unless you are going to use if for a race car, I would pass. . .

DaveGF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much are they asking? I have an un-repaired '96 GTS hood I'll sell for $2,000 if picked up or $2,500 (I seriously dislike the hassle of crating) plus shipping if shipped. It will need painting (currently blue w/white) as it was on my SCCA T-1 car and has had decals on it for 5 years and has some paint pitting from race-related sand/dirt blasting. I also have what I think is a new Gen 1 hood that was never painted but is beat-up (scratches etc. but no even remotely structural damage) from many moves - same price.

OP
OP
K

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is the email he sent me.I got him down to $500.00 for the hood.But think i may pass.Would hate to find problems after paint.So if anyone else is interested in it.Let me know and I will give you his info
DaveGF thanks for the offer.But I am spending way too much on mods right now.So I gotta pass on 2k

"I do not have pictures of it before. The hood was damaged on the corners where the headlamp meets the hood. It was minor cosmetic damage. The structure of the hood was intact. The primer is RM primer. The matting and resign is from Evercoat. All the material is all high quality and so was the work done on it. And yes I do work at a body shop."

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
evercoat makes both SMC and std fiberglass material. It is important that he used actual SMC repair material. IF he did and it looks good $500 is a good deal

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang