Damaged Rear Dust Boots (pics) Question...

gozer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just changed my pads for an upcoming one day track event and noticed both rear caliper boots are damaged. Is this such a serious problem that I should not drive the car or is it just something that should be repaired in the near future? If so, should it be repaired prior to the track day?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

Drivers Side:
You must be registered for see images

Passangers Side:

Here is another of the passenger side grease boot, do you think it is damaged?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
last picture is not damage... grease squeezes past the boot durring a greasing.

the piston boots arent a "dont drive or you'll die" kind of thing, but do it ASAP...and avoid spraying water back there or driving in the rain!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will need two AutoSpecialties KC-83017 caliper kits, about $6 each. If you need instructions (because the service manual says the calipers are not serviceable) let me know. For a complete caliper replacement, the non-ABS Viper rear caliper with integral parking brake is also used for the rear caliper of the 1990-92 Eagle Premier and Dodge Monaco. Places like RockAuto.com sell Cardone rebuilts PN 171262 and 171263 for $119 ($50 core + $69 price.)

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats nothing to worry about. Heck two years ago my rear caliper dust boot disintegrated and fell off. I'm still looking for those tiny pieces of rubber somewhere on the ground. What I would do however is heat shield the greaseable boots that are close to the rotors to prevent them from drying out and cracking from higher heat generated at a track event.