Damn Door Won't Stay Open!!!!

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damn Door Won\'t Stay Open!!!!

Hey guys, what gives with my driver's side door that won't lock open like the passenger's side? Does anyone else have this problem? Sure makes it hard to do work inside the car with the door hitting you in the shins. Is there a spring lockout or something inside the door that may have prematurely worn out? Any insight would be much appreciated.

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Damn Door Won\'t Stay Open!!!!

Hey guys, what gives with my driver's side door that won't lock open like the passenger's side? Does anyone else have this problem? Sure makes it hard to do work inside the car with the door hitting you in the shins. Is there a spring lockout or something inside the door that may have prematurely worn out? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Yous got yerself a bad door hinge. The detent on the hinge, which is integral to the two halves of the hinge is bad. My guess is that you are normal like most drivers and open the drivers door more often than the passenger door. Eventually the passenger door will start to do the same thing but it may take twice as long. The part number for the hinge is 5245109 and lists for $197.00. Any reputable body shop can install the hinge. I do not recommend a dealership or service station do the install as the door is heavy and most body shops are well equipped and experienced with hinge replacement. Of course the viper tax does apply and you may see dollar signs appear in the body shops eyes. :eek:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yup. My car is currently in the shop for the SAME reason. Guess how long it has been there? Since the first week of August, so a month an a half. They have fitted three hinges and none of them work. Just called Chrysler headquarters and they think they have a solution so I MIGHT have my car back by the end of the week. What joy...

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The detent for the hinge is made of 2 rectangular pieces of spring metal and is riveted to the hinge.

Since I'm cheap and that to re-align the door correctly is not an easy job, what i did was to buy a new hinge,drill out the rivet for both the old and new hinge detent, taped the "old" hinge to accept a bolt and bolted the new detent on the old hinge.

That way, If I ever have the same problem with the door,it will be a 10mn job.

Luc.00GTS

tommygun

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The detent for the hinge is made of 2 rectangular pieces of spring metal and is riveted to the hinge.

Since I'm cheap and that to re-align the door correctly is not an easy job, what i did was to buy a new hinge,drill out the rivet for both the old and new hinge detent, taped the "old" hinge to accept a bolt and bolted the new detent on the old hinge.

That way, If I ever have the same problem with the door,it will be a 10mn job.

Luc.00GTS

Sounds like a very slick idea, mind if I use it for some of my other customers cars? :2tu: :2tu:

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I frequently remove the small Cover in frint of the Door an put some Grease on the Door hinge... first one was broken after six months. Since i grease it, it lasts over 4 years.

OP
OP

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I'm cheap too, so to do the work myself and just be out the price of the hinge sounds like the plan. You guys rock!!

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just where the rivet is, the hinge look like ---__--- and consequently there is some clearance/space,may be 1/8", between the hinge and metal panel.
To avoid damaging the panel with the drill bit when drilling the rivet, I just slided a thin piece of aluminum behind the hinge.

When you get the new hinge, you will see how the back side of the rivet look and how to remove it.
To tap the hinge you will need 2 taps, a regular one and a "bottom " tap,or you can first use the regular 1 and after starting the threads, grind of file the end of the tap to create a bottom tap.
You will also have to cut the bolt to size because I was not able to find one short enough in the size needed.

Don't overtorque the bolt (the hinge is aluminum and you only have about 3/8" of threads) and use some blue Loctite on it.

Luc.00GTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Come one guys, a new hinge is only $150 and takes about half an hour to install for a first timer (open the door and remove the two bolts you can only reach with the door open, then close the door and replace the hinge keeping the door closed the entire time). Just do it right and be done with it, but yes, grease the spring. Did this about a month ago and it sure is nice having the door prop open now. Helps me appear a little bit more coordinated when I get in and out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960