Dan - How about Some Rear Stone Guards??

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I decided to clean my Viper up today after hitting the strip 2 weeks ago.

I was laying down along side the car and can honestly say the front sill stone guards really seem to help! A quick clean & wax and my sills were done. Then I went to the rear of the car...

It took me about 10 minutes each side to remove the rubber,:rolleyes:, and then a quick clean and wax. All is good for the time being, but a set of rear stone guards would've made things so much easier.

At a glance, there does look to be a couple of screws back there that the guards could mount to(one in the fender well and a couple underneath near the diffuser), we just need someone to fab them up!

It's about that time for my Viper to hibernate for a few months, so 3/4 months from now would be perfect timing!:D

What do ya think?

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Already working on it. :2tu:

I just need to determine if a standard "screw on" version would sell, or if a more expensive bracketed version that does not require any new edge screw holes would be a better option.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That's kinda what I figured.

However, what is everyone's opinion about adding screw holes to the black inner fender shield rather than the painted fascia? Or perhaps, having the back shields be a drill/rivet on part that becomes part of the inner fender rather than the fascia. The inner fender is a removable/replaceable/non-painted part.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure about folks adding extra holes to their cars. Is there a way to incorperate a clip on the back of the guard or use velco or double sided tape?

Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not sure about folks adding extra holes to their cars. Is there a way to incorperate a clip on the back of the guard or use velco or double sided tape?

Bruce

Not that I would trust at a high rate of speed or to not chaff the paint itself, no.

I can understand not wanting to put holes in the car, but the plastic inner fender can easily be replaced later *IF* you ever remove them, which no one ever would. The only major point is to prevent holes/damage to the painted surfaces, which it would still be doing.

I do not see a reliable way of doing this unless you put holes in SOMETHING, or use a secondary bracket, which will add substantial cost to them, as it would be easily 2-3x the work to produce.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I would trust at a high rate of speed or to not chaff the paint itself, no.

I can understand not wanting to put holes in the car, but the plastic inner fender can easily be replaced later *IF* you ever remove them, which no one ever would. The only major point is to prevent holes/damage to the painted surfaces, which it would still be doing.

I do not see a reliable way of doing this unless you put holes in SOMETHING, or use a secondary bracket, which will add substantial cost to them, as it would be easily 2-3x the work to produce.

I think your method of using holes in the plastic inner fender would be fine and less expensive than having an extra mounting bracket. Since there are no holes in the painted surface, your idea is fine in my book. Put me down for a set as soon as they come out. Thanks for all of your work. :)

OP
OP
H

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I appreciate your efforts, drilling holes anywhere would probably keep me away. There's got to be a way to get it done without drilling.

Though should you decide to go in this direction, I would still want to at least check them out.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
While I appreciate your efforts, drilling holes anywhere would probably keep me away. There's got to be a way to get it done without drilling.

Though should you decide to go in this direction, I would still want to at least check them out.

There is.. but it would cost substantially more and with no benefit. I am just hoping that everyone understands that the part that you would have to drill is a replaceable, non-painted, screwed on, inexpensive piece of plastic that could never be tied to the car as being original or not.

If someone feels that strongly about not drilling any holes, you can buy a set of used rear inner fenders, drill them, and put your factory pieces in the closet. I can surely locate a set of them used if anyone needs me to.

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is.. but it would cost substantially more and with no benefit. I am just hoping that everyone understands that the part that you would have to drill is a replaceable, non-painted, screwed on, inexpensive piece of plastic that could never be tied to the car as being original or not.

If someone feels that strongly about not drilling any holes, you can buy a set of used rear inner fenders, drill them, and put your factory pieces in the closet. I can surely locate a set of them used if anyone needs me to.

Thanks for the info Dan. I am looking forward to them!!! A set sold here. Thanks.:)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Phew...

I guess I need to devote more time to this!

I apologize guys for being scarce lately... I am trying to get three cars done by spring, and it is killing me time wise. I am still trying to get these done this spring for everyone, with CF variants soon after [or perhaps all at once]

-Dan

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, for the sake of those of us who bought your fronts in the hard black plastic please make the back ones to match before you go the carbon fiber route. Thanks a bunch for making these. Take care.

Phew...

I guess I need to devote more time to this!

I apologize guys for being scarce lately... I am trying to get three cars done by spring, and it is killing me time wise. I am still trying to get these done this spring for everyone, with CF variants soon after [or perhaps all at once]

-Dan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper