Dash and rear cameras with aero spoiler

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to install a 2 channel camera system on a TA and wondering if there's a suitable place in the back to mount the camera where it would be able to see enough to be useful in case of an accident or vandelism. I don't have the car yet so can't look myself. This is the model I'm considering and its shape and size might allow it to be mounted high on the ceiling or top of the rear hatch glass. Also, is there the glare screening dots at the top middle of either front or back windows that would block the camera's view?

http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/blackvue-dr550gw-2ch/

Hopefully Vipersmith can chime in about the front glass as I see on the other forum that he's doing a front system, but will also need opinions from others that have the rear aero. Thanks.

Bruce

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting product! Could the video be overlaid easily with performance data and track map? Easily I meant w/o a lot of post processing. I have tried software programs such as Harry's Lap timer, Torque, MaxQ Data on various platform and had a VBox Performance Box but couldn't find one that does both video recording and performance data logging at the same time for a few hundred bucks.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, I am out and about today with my car, so I'll post some videos of day driving up.

I view dash cams more of a cowitness when things go bad. Perhaps someone running a red light, etc. I think most are questionable at best for capturing plates, luckily most record audio so you could simply read the plate aloud and have it captured. Perhaps if something goes bad id have proof it actually was a deer!

As far as vandalism, I think that maybe a bit more tricky - hard to test the cam "waking" if someone bumps into you!

Here is how the front facing looks, deepening how high you sit

You must be registered for see images attach

How it looks mounted

In realty it isn't a distraction at all.

Paranoid? Maybe. But in 6 months of having the car had plenty of stupid people driving around me. A cheap $200 insurance policy in my view!

This one can also connect to the ODB2 port if you want.

I didn't go for the Blackvue because I read lots of complaints about even 90* temps killing them.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting product! Could the video be overlaid easily with performance data and track map? Easily I meant w/o a lot of post processing. I have tried software programs such as Harry's Lap timer, Torque, MaxQ Data on various platform and had a VBox Performance Box but couldn't find one that does both video recording and performance data logging at the same time for a few hundred bucks.
I'm afraid I have no idea about that sort of thing. Hopefully someone else does as that would be cool.

OP
OP
Bruce H.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How it looks mounted

Paranoid? Maybe. But in 6 months of having the car had plenty of stupid people driving around me. A cheap $200 insurance policy in my view!

This one can also connect to the ODB2 port if you want.

I didn't go for the Blackvue because I read lots of complaints about even 90* temps killing them.

Thanks, Harold. I can see the dotted area and the mirror mount you have to work around with camera position. Tricky. I'm also looking at this other camera as it can be unplugged from the wired-in mount and looks like it might tuck up very tight in that area. No temperature rating, and that is an important consideration as you point out. My car use will be very limited, and for pleasure use only where I might be okay if I unplugged it if it was going to be parked in the sun. http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/mini-0801-ambarella/

Btw, does anyone know if the car's backup camera can be used when driving, or does it just automatically turn on when selecting reverse. And is the USB input for the infotainmnent system for both audio and video, or just audio?

Bruce

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me ask you guys this.... If you are at fault in an accident or get stopped for speeding, is your dashcam info discoverable? Seems like a double edged sword.

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me ask you guys this.... If you are at fault in an accident or get stopped for speeding, is your dashcam info discoverable? Seems like a double edged sword.

If it was me at fault, first thing I'd do is to pop that SD card out and swallow it. :crazy2: