DC, LISTEN UP!!!!!

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is the situation, I recently brought my 2001 RT-10 into my local dealership to do a warranty claim on some parts that have deteriorated after minimal use. ( Leather has cracked on the seat backs of the passanger and driver seat, the center console has cracked, the wiring harness in the driver door has fried and booth side sills have shown heat damage).

The car was shipped from a dealership in Chicago, to a dealership in Toronto (where I purchased it). When I was at the Chrysler dealership they informed me that all of these items should not have deteriorated after 11,000 miles and would be covered under factory warranty ( 3year/36,000miles). Just before the claim was sent through, they noticed they might have trouble with the claim because it was U.S. bulit and titled, they instructed me to call the Chrysler customer service to double check.

After being on hold for 30 min, I explained the situation to one of the "customer service reps" she originally told me that I would have to convert the odomoter into KM in order to claim the warranty. Approx. 20 minutes after speaking with her she called back and said that because the car had crossed the border the warranty is now void? and there was nothing they could do!

After investing a significant amount of time and money into Chrysler's "most prestige" product, I feel violated and neglected after this experience.

How does Chrysler expect to maintain a healthy relationship with customers who have beleived in their products since day one, if they are going to turn their back's on them when something goes wrong?. If this is a company policy that voides warranties when a car has travelled across the border, you would assume that there might be some sort of recourse to alliviate the problem, especially since Viper owners are to be considered an " Elite customer"

Overall this experience has opened my eyes to the way Chrysler does business and treats their customers, I will no longer promote any of their products nor will I ever purchase another Chrysler product again.

Sorry for the rant, but thank you for taking time to read this, I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Sincerely

Kevin McDonald
VCA# 17236

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin, I believe if you bought the vehicle "new" from the dealer, then this is the policy. It was put in place to stop dealers from arbitraging the price difference (and currency swings) between the US and Canada. Unfortunately the dealer doesn't suffer, the client ends up taking the brunt for something they knew nothing about. If you bought the vehicle "used" - i.e. had already been titled in the US, it is my understanding that your warranty is fine - at least that is what they have told me. I have a number of US origin vehicles that were technically "used" and haven't had any warranty issues.

OP
OP
N

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you feel strongly about this situation, please post a response, the more people read it the better. Perhaps it will get to the right people at Chrysler.

Thanks for your help

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is B.S. im sorry that happend, but if you stop buying their products your just hurting yourself because as most of us know they do have the best products out there.

However I can't understand how "crossing a border" voids anything, I mean if the was driven in Canada or NY, whats the diffrence??????? miles are miles and they should stand behind their product no matter where the miles were driven.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am confused. You live in Canada but the car was in Chicago and you had it shipped to Toronto? That ***** what is happening to you, but if the car was already in a major metropolitan area(Chicago) why not get the work done there? I am just trying to understand why the car was shipped to Canada to begin with. I wouldn't be so quick to judge Chrysler so fast though. Read the warranty policy. It may say in there somewhere about getting work done only in the U.S. There are a lot of companies out there that if you take the car outside of the continental US they will not be held liable for damages or claims. May be the same thing for warranty work, though it sounds pretty stupid to me. Good luck though, that really does ****. :(

OP
OP
N

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply's
I had a car dealership in Toronto looking specifically for a 2001 RT-10 sapphire blue and the only one that was clean was from Chicago, so we had it shipped over to Toronto

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wayne is right. The same applies to GM to discourge cross border shipping the Dealers are not allowed to export new vehicles. The vehicle must be title in the country it was made for at least 6 months after which it can be exported. Trucks where the main reason this rule was created. 2 yrs ago you could buy truck in Canada and sell it in the US and make $10,000 to 15,0000 dollars. To discourge this all the manufactures decide to void warranties if cars where shipped out of country with less than a 6 month title on it.

A dealer could lose its right to sell cars if they sold a car to customer and it was shipped accross the border when it was less than 6 months old, even if the didn't know it was going to go accross the border.

When I bought my GM durmax I had to sign a waiver at the dealer stating that the truck was not going south. The dealer in the US should have got his hand slapped for selling it brand new out of country ( USUALLY FINED BY CHRYSLER)

OP
OP
N

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like in this situation though,there should be an exception to the rule or at least some form of help, after all they still produced a product less than three years ago with manufacturer's defects, yet they choose not to agnowledge it.

Chrysler/Dodge is a NORTH AMERICAN company, what ever happened to NAFTA; which was suppose promote cross boarder selling and trading, why should consumers be penalized for purchasing their product. What does it matter if the car is in California or Toronto the fact of the matter is their product in this case was not manufactured properly so they should want to fix it to maintain a positive relationship with their consumers.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You're absolutely right Kevin....if the product isn't as it's supposed to be...somebody ought to take responsibility and fix it for you! .....you're not trying to rip anybody off...you're just trying to get what you're due!!
Hopefully somebody at DC will read our comments here....see how absurd the situation is!! .and (maybe) make an exception and help you out.....

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck on your situation, but I don't see DC steppinjg forward on this. The difference between Chrysler/Dodge customer service and Mercedes is literally black and white. My buddies 430 had some problem in Miami, they paid for the car to be fixed, paid for all their meals, and paid for 3 nights in a posh Miami hotel. You can't even get the warranty back now :mad: !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With great interest I am following this thread since it affects some of our members.....Your car should be fixed regardless, as long as it is under warranty. If crossing the boarders voids the warranty then crossing back should re-instate it, the way I see it.

Nabil

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck with Chrysler Canada. It took DC forever to get someone out 1 hour from toronto to look after corroding sidesills.

Chrysler canada is a puppet to chrysler in the states, which has lacklustre service on a good day.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin, to help clarify things. Did you buy it new (or used with less than 6 months from sale date) and have it shipped across the border?

I have no expertise on this at all but I am aware of the rationale for preventing it. This is clearly a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" situation. If the philosophy is to maintain stable prices, regardless of currency fluctuations, then there will be times when it is of greater benefit to go across the border to purchase a car. The warranty policy is meant to avoid this potential.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a former vp of our company (Ray Smith)was quoted as saying:
" Don't do what you have been taught do what makes sense"
with that being said DC should stand behind the car.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree they should stand behind the product. But Canada is not always not treated the same. LOOK at the SRT my coupon didn't mean ****. I didn't get my car in a timely fashion, they got alotted based on what the dealer bought in other cars (NOT VIPERS)and not coupons turned into that dealer. Thats why I drive a Chevy truck and not a dodge. Love my viper, love my dodge dealer, but their SRT 10 treatment of Canada was terrible. Changed my whole view of the company.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just checked the current MSRP + destination of an SRT in the US (81890) vs in Canada (128500 CDN = 94499 US). Taking that Viper into Canada undercuts the Canadian dealer by quite a bit. Before the guys from Canada start complaining note that the currency effect goes both ways over time.

Kevin has not answered the question regarding how long the car was owned by someone in the US before relocating it to Canada. If it was over the minimum then he should not have a problem. If not then it was a choice he made. Policies are not changed because someone breaks it and then is adversely affected by it. Note also that several OEMs have that same policy in effect and for good reason.We do have duty free (or limited duty) between countries. But we do not have fixed currency exchange rates and equal costs.

OP
OP
N

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the car in June of 2003 with 3000 miles on it, which would mean that the car was in the U.S. for at least 2 years because the in service date was June 14th 2001

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then your warranty should be fine. If the dealer does not accept it then you need to follow the next step. Not sure what it is in Canada but check a Canadian owners manual and it should say. Here generally it is to check with the zone manager and then calling the customer hot line. Complaints on a internet site won't get any attention.

Wayne Finch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the car in June of 2003 with 3000 miles on it, which would mean that the car was in the U.S. for at least 2 years because the in service date was June 14th 2001

This should make your warranty valid unless the car was never titled in the U.S. i.e the 3000 miles were dealer miles.

The problem is that DC fixes MSRP's once a year and the currency swings can be wild For example, last year the Canadian dollar was up about 20% versus the US dollar but MSRP's on both sides of the border remained fixed. Voiding the warranty shouldn't be the fix, but I can certainly understand why DC (and all the other manufacturers had to do something.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't believe your dealer isn't fighting this for you! You buy a 6 figure car from them and they blow you off saying the your warranty is void. Hey, now that I think of it that sounds like the DC dealers out here.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think that is true Patrick. The car was purchased used in the US and the dealer is in Canada.

Wayne is correct. It is not the in-service date that is important. It is the first retail sale date. Hopefully this was not a dealer owned (and thus not a previous retail sale) car.

A break in policy effectively makes the car a gray market car. In the gray market the buyer is taking the chance. The OEM is not advocating or supporting unauthorized sales.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dear DC,
I've talked to you before with no response. You need to do the following asap:
1. Take care of any products that are under warranty whether they are in the U.S or Timbuckto. You made them, we bought them under good faith with warranties, now fix any problems that develop. Stand behind your product.
2. Did you ever implement the $50,000 fine that was discussed when one of your viper mechs totally screws up the 998/999 recall (with half the $ going to the owner)? Has this been discussed before? A public thrashing of the ignoramus would be warranted but probably is unnecessary.
3. Last, but not least, install a friggin hardtop on that SRT, increase the HP to over 600 and watch these sell for over list, but keep the list under $100k.
I can go on and on. Since I'm only a 2 day/week dentist, I am willing to join your staff under the right conditions. Remember Doug Levin of DLM, Gerald Levin, Pres of AOL and its about time to get the ball moving with GAL of DC. I'm awaiting your call.

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just checked the current MSRP + destination of an SRT in the US (81890) vs in Canada (128500 CDN = 94499 US). Taking that Viper into Canada undercuts the Canadian dealer by quite a bit. Before the guys from Canada start complaining note that the currency effect goes both ways over time.

Kevin has not answered the question regarding how long the car was owned by someone in the US before relocating it to Canada. If it was over the minimum then he should not have a problem. If not then it was a choice he made. Policies are not changed because someone breaks it and then is adversely affected by it. Note also that several OEMs have that same policy in effect and for good reason.We do have duty free (or limited duty) between countries. But we do not have fixed currency exchange rates and equal costs.

Cris is exactly right. I trade currency for a living and C$ specifically is a very volatile currency when compared to other "majors" such as the Euro, Japanese Yen, British Pound, etc. It can easily move for/against you at any moment. With the US Dollar weakening as it has over the last 24+ months, the business case has changed....

OP
OP
N

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It shouldn't be a case of dollars and exchange rates, it is simply the fact that no matter where your product goes, you should stand behind it 100%. (especially within the warranty time)

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me the fix can be paid for in Canadian dollars if that's the rub! :rolleyes:

What's the deal here. DC got their money on the initial purchase in the United States. The car's got problems that it shouldn't have. Fix it for him.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone stated to recross the border and get it repaired and upon completion drive it back home?

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like some of you guys do not get it. So I guess I will spell it out (as clearly as my feeble mind can).

The MSRP does not fluctuate with the exchange rate. The MSRP's are really set to be competitive for the environment for which they are sold. That means product A sold in the US may be cheaper or more expensive than product A sold in Canada. They are correctly priced for each market, but not priced appropriately for the other market. As such the price for each market is fairly stable, even though currency exchange rates may shift significanty.

Now the problem comes when dealers or knowledgeable owners learn about this instant profit potential. Buy product A in the US, ship it to Canada and make a significant profit. Even with taxes, shipping and the like. The next year may bring a shift in cost of living and currency rates such that they now take a Canadian product and sell it in the US for a sizeable profit. Clearly if this was allowed vehicle sales would come from the lower cost side and sales on the higher cost side would diminish dramatically. Certainly not a viable business position for the dealerships that are located a reasonable distance from the border that would have a dramatic boom and bust sales schedule.

So the solution is to enact a mandatory retention period before transfer to the other country. Since the only leverage the company has is the warranty, the leverage employed is a warranty coverage exclusion that limits coverage on vehicles that are imported from one side to the other prior to accumulating a specified period of time. This also prevents the transfer of new vehicles without the loss of the warranty.

Now you guys come along and expect an OEM to change this policy because it is an expensive car. Think about this a little more and you will understand the policy is even more important with expensive, low volume vehicles as each sale that emanates from one country hurts the businesses in the adjacent country more.

If Kevin purchased this car used with an adequate amount of time (post initial sale and registration in the US), then he should have no problem validating his warranty. If on the other hand this was a sale of a new or minimally used car then he took a risk in importing it and now should learn from it. He can export it back to the US, register it for the required period of time and then bring it in to Canada legitimately and have complete warranty coverage through it all.

OP
OP
N

NOTTDADZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well...After listening to you guys rave about Chuck Tator for the past year, I decided to give him a call to see if he could help my situatiuon.

After a few phone calls back and forth for a couple a days, I decided to drive out and see him last Saturday. He saw what kind of work needed to be done to my car and had no problem with the warranty claim (perhaps DC doesn't have their heads on straight in Canada)

Why can't everyone who works for DC be more like Chuck, he certainly is an asset to the Viper community.

Thanks Chuck

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Are Very Welcome Kevin! I'm glad I could help you and Thank You!

"I don't think it's a matter of having their heads on straight, I think their heads are where the sun don't shine!" :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper